LA Galaxy II Postgame Notes
LA Galaxy II 1, Orange County SC 1
Saturday, April 22, 2017 – 7:30 p.m. PT
2017 USL Regular Season
StubHub Center Track & Field Stadium – Los Angeles, Calif.
LOS ANGELES, Calif. (Saturday, April 22, 2017) – In front of 2,225 fans – the most ever for an LA Galaxy II match at StubHub Center’s Track & Field Stadium – LA Galaxy II (1-3-1, 4 points) earned a 1-1 draw against Southern California rivals Orange County Soccer Club (OCSC) Saturday evening behind a second-half goal from Academy product Adrian Vera. LA Galaxy II started four LA Galaxy Academy players Saturday night, and featured an average age of 19 years old for the 11 starting players.
The visitors came closest to opening the score in the 24th minute, when OCSC’s Duke LaCroix rounded Los Dos goalkeeper Bennett Sneddon inside the 18-yard box and fired a shot from a narrow angle. LA Galaxy Academy defender Ian Lonergan got to the ball as it trickled across the goal line before clearing it to keep the score level.
LA Galaxy II then came within inches of notching a goal late in the first half off of a set piece behind an effort from forward Ethan Zubak. LA Galaxy II defender Hugo Arellano got on the end of a free kick and headed towards Zubak, who fired a shot from point-blank range that was narrowly deflected by OCSC goalkeeper Charlie Lyon and bounced off the post and out for a corner kick.
Shortly into the second half, Orange County struck first when they scored in the 49th minute. OCSC defender Roy Meeus found space on the left side and fired in a cross headed for the center of the six-yard box when defender Jean Engola dove to block the incoming ball. Engola mis-hit the ball and sent it towards the back post past Sneddon as the visitors went up a goal.
Almost 20 minutes later, Los Dos answered and leveled the score. After earning a free kick from 20 yards out, forward Ariel Lassiter – who had just entered the match off the bench – fired a shot on target that was saved by Orange County’s Lyon, before falling into the path of an oncoming Vero, who slotted it in the net. It marked Vera’s first goal of the season.
A flurry of late chances for Los Dos didn’t find the back of the net as the game finished 1-1. Next, LA Galaxy II will again face Orange County SC in their next contest when the two square off at Anteater Stadium on Saturday, May 6.
OCSC – Jean Engola (own goal) 49’
LA – Adrian Vera 66’
OCSC – Victor Pineda 33’ (caution)
OCSC – Richard Chaplow 65’ (caution)
LA – Ethan Zubak 86 (caution)
LA Galaxy II: Bennett Sneddon, Bradley Diallo, Jean Engola, Hugo Arellano, Ian Lonergan; Adrian Vera (Jake Arteaga 66’), Ryo Fujii (c), Alex Juarez, Jorge Hernandez (Zico Bailey 82’); Johnathan Estrada (Ariel Lassiter 60’), Ethan Zubak
Substitutions not used: Eric Lopez, Jose Agredo, Robert Castellanos, Eric Payeras
LA: GOALS: 1 | SHOTS: 13 | SHOTS ON TARGET: 4 | OFFSIDES: 2 | CORNERS: 7 |
SEA: GOALS: 1 | SHOTS: 9 | SHOTS ON TARGET: 2 | OFFSIDES: 4 | CORNERS: 7 |
Head Referee: Timothy Ford
- LA Galaxy II (1-3-1, 4 points) earned a 1-1 draw at StubHub Center Track & Field Stadium in front of 2,225 fans, the largest-ever crowd at Track and Field Stadium.
- Midfielder Adrian Vera scored his first goal of the season Saturday night vs. Orange County SC.
- Head Coach Mike Muñoz fielded a starting XI that included seven teenagers and three players at 20-years of age for their game with Orange County.
- Including LA Galaxy first team defender Bradley Diallo, the only player over 20 years of age, the average age of the starting XI was a 19 years old.
- Four Galaxy Academy players started for Los Dos on Saturday: Ian Lonergan, Alex Juarez, Jorge Hernandez, and Jonathan Estrada.
- Lonergan and Juarez started for Galaxy II earlier this year, while Hernandez and Estrada made their first appearance on the starting XI for Los Dos.
- LA Galaxy Academy’s Alex Juarez made his third-straight appearance for LA Galaxy II on Saturday night, earning his second career start with Los Dos.
- LA Galaxy Academy graduate Bennett Sneddon made second-straight start of the season for Los Dos on Saturday night. Sneddon held a 2.13 GAA across five games for LA in 2016.
- LA Galaxy II are now 1-1-1 at home in 2017.
- Two current LA Galaxy players started in the match: Bradley Diallo and Hugo Arellano. Forward Ariel Lassiter started the match on the bench for Galaxy II and entered in the second half.
- Former LA Galaxy II Head Coach Curt Onalfo was named LA Galaxy Head Coach on Dec. 13, 2016. Mike Muñoz was named LA Galaxy II Head Coach on Jan. 12, 2017.
- LA Galaxy II finished the 2016 USL Regular Season 12-7-11 (47 points).
- LA Galaxy II led the Western Conference in goals in 2016 (52).
- Next, LA Galaxy II will face Orange County SC in a contest at Anteater Stadium in Irving, California on Saturday, May 6.
- For more information, visit www.lagalaxy.com.