LA Galaxy II Postgame Notes
LA Galaxy II 0, Orange County SC 4
Saturday, May 6 – 5:00 p.m. PT
2017 USL Regular Season
Orange County Great Park – Orange, Calif.
ORANGE, Calif. (Saturday, May 6, 2017) – LA Galaxy II (1-4-1, 4 points) suffered their biggest loss of the season to Orange County SC (3-1-2, 10 points) by a score of 4-0 on Saturday night at Orange County Great Park in Orange, Calif.
After keeping pace with the Southern Californian side for the first 25 minutes of the opening half, Los Dos broke down and allowed three goals in a span of six minutes.
A called handball in the box on Ryo Fujii allowed Orange County forward Jerry Van Ewijk to open the scoring for the home side, narrowly beating LA Galaxy II goalkeeper Eric Lopez for the game’s first goal.
Three minutes later, Ewijk scored again on a sloppily attempted clearance from Lopez. Lopez ran onto to clear a through ball bouncing just outside the top of the box. Lopez headed it away, but straight to Ewijk, who lobbed the ball into the open net.
LA helped OC’s efforts after another passing of three minutes, when Alex Juarez put the ball in his own net after a deflected cross into the box fell awkwardly at his feet.
The half ended 3-0, but Orange County added another early in the second half on a good goal in the run of play from Ewijk and Wuilito Fernandez.
The Galaxy will go back to the drawing board before they travel to face the defending champions, New York Red Bulls II, in a rare piece of scheduling against an Eastern Conference team on Sunday, May 14 at Red Bull Arena.
OCSC – Jerry Van Ewijk 28’ (penalty)
OCSC – Jerry Van Ewijk 31’
OCSC – Alex Juarez 34’ (own goal)
OCSC – Wuilito Fernandes 59’ (Assisted by Jerry Van Ewijk)
LA – Ryo Fujii 45’ (caution)
OC – Monday Etim’ 70’ (caution)
LA – Ian Lonergan 79’ (caution)
LA Galaxy II: Eric Lopez, Hugo Arellano, Robert Castellanos, Ian Lonergan, Alex Juarez; Jose Villarreal, Raul Mendiola, Ryo Fujii, Bradford Jamieson IV; Ariel Lassiter, Ethan Zubak
Substitutions not used: David Preys, Jean Engola, Andre Zanga, Jorge Hernandez, Jonathan Hernandez, Adrian Vera
LA: GOALS: 0 | SHOTS: 11 | SHOTS ON TARGET: 2 | OFFSIDES: 1 | CORNERS: 4 | SAVES: 5
OC: GOALS: 4 | SHOTS: 11 | SHOTS ON TARGET: 3 | OFFSIDES: 2 | CORNERS: 4 | SAVES: 3
Head Referee: Daniel Radford
· LA Galaxy II (1-4-1, 4 points) suffered their biggest loss of the season to Orange County SC (3-1-2, 10 points) by a score of 4-0 on Saturday night at Orange County Great Park in Orange, Calif.
· LA are now 0-3-0 are the road in 2017. Combined, they’ve allowed nine goals and scored one.
· Head Coach Mike Muñoz fielded a starting XI that included five LA Galaxy members: Ariel Lassiter, Jose Villarreal, Raul Mendiola, Bradford Jamieson IV and Hugo Arellano. All went 90 minutes.
· Goalkeeper Eric Lopez made his first-ever start for LA Galaxy II on Saturday night. He made one appearance for the Galaxy in 2016.
· Two Galaxy Academy players started for Los Dos on Saturday: Alex Juarez and Ian Lonergan.
· LA Galaxy Academy’s Alex Juarez made his fourth-straight appearance for LA Galaxy II on Saturday night, earning his third career start with Los Dos.
· Former LA Galaxy II Head Coach Curt Onalfo was named LA Galaxy Head Coach on Dec. 13, 2016. Mike Muñoz was named LA Galaxy II Head Coach on Jan. 12, 2017.
· LA Galaxy II finished the 2016 USL Regular Season 12-7-11 (47 points).
· LA Galaxy II led the Western Conference in goals in 2016 (52).
· Next, the LA Galaxy II schedule ramps up when they host Real Monarchs SLC at 7:30 p.m. PT on Wednesday, May 10.
· For more information, visit www.lagalaxy.com.