LA Galaxy II Postgame Notes
LA Galaxy II 2, New York Red Bulls 1
Sunday, May 14 – 6:00 p.m. PT
2017 USL Regular Season
Red Bull Arena – Harrison, N.J.
HARRISON, N.J. (Sunday, May 14, 2017) – LA Galaxy II (2-5-1, 7 points) picked up a 2-1 away win against New York Red Bulls II (3-3-3, 11 points) at Red Bull Arena in Harrison, N.J. on Sunday evening. It was Galaxy II’s first win since their season opening victory at StubHub Center Track & Field Stadium on March 25.
Los Dos conceded the game’s first goal for a fourth straight match, putting themselves in a 1-0 hole with Red Bulls II’s Brandon Allen opening the score. New York used a quick throw to catch LA off-guard, giving space for Florian Valot to put in an unpressured cross to Allen.
New York dominated the first half, offering the Galaxy little in the way of chances. It was the fifth time in eight games that the Galaxy trailed the opponent at halftime.
But the Galaxy responded immediately at the start of the second half and got the chance they needed to get back into the game when Raul Mendiola and Adonis Amaya were presented with a 2-on-1 situation during a counter attack. Raul Mendiola set a give-and-go in motion with Amaya, and received the ball back with Red Bulls goalkeeper Evan Louro coming out to challenge. Louro dove for the ball, but clipped the feet of Mendiola. Head Referee Juan Guzman pointed to the penalty spot. Amaya buried it in the 49th minute for his second goal of the season.
A minute later, Muñoz brought on forward Justin Dhillon and the Galaxy’s attack grew stronger. Los Dos targeted Dhillon continually once he was substituted and were rewarded with chances. After three different buildups from the Galaxy ended with a shot from Dhillon, he buried the best pass that came his way.
In the 72nd minute, Jorge Hernandez found Dhillon with a perfectly placed, left-foot lofted cross just beyond the right side of the penalty area. Dhillon drifted off the back of the Red Bulls defender, opening up with his right foot for the cool volley finish and his first goal in a Galaxy II shirt.
A couple of big saves and well-timed intervention from Eric Lopez preserved the result for the Galaxy, who picked up their first road win of the season with a starting lineup that averaged just 19.7 years of age.
NY – Brandon Allen 3’ (Assisted by Florian Valot)
LA – Adonis Amaya 49’ (penalty)
LA – Justin Dhillon 72’ (Assisted by Jorge Hernandez)
LA – Hugo Arellano 55’
LA Galaxy II: Eric Lopez; Nathan Smith, Hugo Arellano, Robert Castellanos, Tyler Turner (Jean Engola 45’); Ryo Fujii, Adrian Vera (Jonathan Hernandez 82’), Bradford Jamieson IV, Jorge Hernandez; Raul Mendiola, Adonis Amaya (Justin Dhillon 50’)
Substitutions not used: David Preys, Alex Juarez, Josh Turnley, Andre Zanga
NY: SHOTS: 18 | SHOTS ON TARGET: 5 | FOULS: 14 | OFFSIDES: 0 | CORNERS: 9 | SAVES: 5
LA: SHOTS: 10 | SHOTS ON TARGET: 7 | FOULS: 9 | OFFSIDES: 6 | CORNERS: 4 | SAVES: 5
Head Referee: Juan Guzman
· LA Galaxy II (2-5-1, 7 points) picked up a 2-1 away win against New York Red Bulls II (3-3-3, 11 points) at Red Bull Arena in Harrison, N.J. on Sunday evening.
· It was Galaxy II’s first win since their season opening victory at StubHub Center Track & Field Stadium on March 25.
· Adonis Amaya converted a penalty for his second goal of the season. He co-leads the team in goals with Ethan Zubak.
· Justin Dhillon scored his first professional goal for Los Dos on Sunday, netting the game-winner for the team’s second win of the season.
· 16-year-old Galaxy Academy midfielder Jorge Hernandez provided the assist, his first career assist for Los Dos.
· LA Galaxy are 1-3-0 away from StubHub Center Track & Field Stadium this year, scoring two goals while allowing eleven.
· The LA Galaxy II Starting XI vs. New York Red Bulls II averaged just 19.7 years of age.
· The Starting XI included one Galaxy Academy members: Jorge Hernandez.
· Four LA Galaxy players participated in the match: Hugo Arellano, Nathan Smith, Bradford Jamieson IV and Raul Mendiola.
· The match marked LA Galaxy II’s first-ever meeting with New York Red Bulls II.
· Ethan Zubak was unavailable for the match, serving a one-game suspension for the red card he received against Real Monarchs SLC on May 10.
· Former LA Galaxy II Head Coach Curt Onalfo was named LA Galaxy Head Coach on Dec. 13, 2016. Mike Muñoz was named LA Galaxy II Head Coach on Jan. 12, 2017.
· LA Galaxy II finished the 2016 USL Regular Season 12-7-11 (47 points).
· LA Galaxy II led the Western Conference in goals in 2016 (52).
· Next, LA Galaxy II are on the road against to face Rio Grande Valley F.C. Toros on Saturday, May 20 at 5:30 p.m. PT