LA Galaxy II Postgame Notes
LA Galaxy II 1, Phoenix Rising FC 2
Saturday, May 27 – 7:30 p.m. PT
2017 USL Regular Season
StubHub Center Track & Field Stadium – Los Angeles, Calif.
LOS ANGELES (Saturday, May 27, 2017) – LA Galaxy II (2-6-2, 8 points) fell 2-1 to Phoenix Rising FC (4-4-0, 12 points) at StubHub Center Track & Field Stadium on Saturday night. The loss snaps Los Dos’ two-game unbeaten streak and moves the side to 1-3-1 at home on the season. An LA Galaxy II record of 2,502 fans were in attendance for the match at the Track & Field Stadium.
LA Galaxy II were first on the board, just as they started their last contest in Phoenix – also a 2-1 defeat – over a month ago. Ethan Zubak used a burst of quickness to beat his defender to the touchline and was patient before sliding a perfectly served ball for Ariel Lassiter, who converted for his first Los Dos goal of the season in the 13th minute.
Less than 20 minutes later, Phoenix coordinated a well-worked possession of their own, quickly switching field and allowing forward Jason Johnson to get the space necessary to put in an easy cross to the feet of Eric Avila for Phoenix’s equalizer.
Phoenix got the crucial break in the 61’ minunte, when Johnson converted a penalty drawn by Avila. After a broken corner played out, it was Lassiter who tripped up Avila, giving head referee Chipalo Street reason to point to the penalty spot.
Five LA Galaxy members participated in the match: Jack McBean, Ariel Lassiter, Jose Villarreal, Hugo Arellano and Clement Diop. It was the first match of the season in which an LA Galaxy Academy player did not appear.
LA – Ariel Lassiter 13’ (Assisted by Ethan Zubak)
PHX – Eric Avila 32’ (Assisted by Jason Johnson)
PHX – Jason Johnson 61’ (penalty)
LA – Hugo Arellano 22’ (caution)
PHX – Miguel Timm 30’ (caution)
PHX – Matt Watson 64’ (caution)
PHX – AJ Gray 75’ (caution)
LA – Andre Zanga 86’ (caution)
Lineup: Clement Diop; Tyler Turner, Robert Castellanos, Hugo Arellano, Josh Turnley (Jean Engola 77’); Ethan Zubak, Andre Zanga, Adrian Vera (Justin Dhillon 65’), Ariel Lassiter (Jonathan Hernandez 90’+3’); Jose Villarreal, Jack McBean
Substitutions not used: Ryo Fujii, Ian Lonergan, Bennett Sneddon
LA: SHOTS: 7 | SHOTS ON TARGET: 3 | FOULS: 15 | OFFSIDES: 4 | CORNERS: 4 | SAVES: 4
PHX: SHOTS: 15 | SHOTS ON TARGET: 6 | FOULS: 14 | OFFSIDES: 2 | CORNERS: 3 | SAVES: 2
Head Referee: Chipalo Street
- LA Galaxy II (2-6-2, 8 points) fell 2-1 to Phoenix Rising FC (4-4-0, 12 points) at StubHub Center Track & Field Stadium on Saturday night.
- 2,502 fans were in attendance for the match, the most ever at an LA Galaxy II game in the StubHub Center Track & Field Stadium.
- LA Galaxy are now 1-3-1 at StubHub Center Track & Field Stadium this year.
- Ariel Lassiter scored his first goal of the season for LA Galaxy II on Saturday night. He scored nine goals in 16 games for Los Dos last season.
- Ethan Zubak tallied his third assist of the season. He now leads the team in assists (3) and co-leads in goals (2).
- Ethan Zubak has scored or assisted in five of the nine matches he’s started this season.
- Five LA Galaxy players featured in Saturday night’s match: Jack McBean, Ariel Lassiter, Jose Villarreal, Hugo Arellano and Clement Diop.
- It was the first time all season that no LA Galaxy Academy players participated in the match.
- Two Starting XI’s have averaged under the age of 20 this season (4/22 vs. OC, 5/10 vs. RM)
- Former LA Galaxy II Head Coach Curt Onalfo was named LA Galaxy He ad Coach on Dec. 13, 2016. Mike Muñoz was named LA Galaxy II Head Coach on Jan. 12, 2017.
- LA Galaxy II finished the 2016 USL Regular Season 12-7-11 (47 points).
- LA Galaxy II led the Western Conference in goals in 2016 (52).
- Next, LA Galaxy II are on the road to face Seattle Sounders FC 2 at Starfire Stadium in Tukwila, Wash. The match kicks off at 7:00 p.m. PT on Saturday, June 3 and will be broadcast live on LAGalaxy.com/2.