LA Galaxy II Postgame Notes
LA Galaxy II 1, Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC 2
Saturday, June 10 – 7:30 p.m. PT
2017 USL Regular Season
StubHub Center Track & Field Stadium
LOS ANGELES (Saturday, June 10, 2017) – LA Galaxy II (2-8-2, 8 points) fell 2-1 to Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC (5-4-5, 20 points) on Saturday night at StubHub Center Track & Field Stadium. The loss extends Los Dos’ losing streak to three.
The Galaxy applied pressure well in the first half, registering eight shots mostly through the play of Justin Dhillon. It was the second straight match Galaxy II turned in a first-half shutout, as Los Dos entered the half tied 0-0 with Switchbacks FC.
Colorado Springs were first to the board in the 65th minute, getting their goal off a second-chance corner. LA Galaxy II defender Robert Castellanos headed the outswinger clear, but it fell to the feet of Switchbacks FC forward Masta Kacher. Kacher lobbed a high-arching ball into the box, and forward Kevaughn Frater finished an open header behind an unsuspecting Galaxy II defense.
LA was able to answer in the 79th minute, when the Galaxy reclaimed a turnover in the opponents’ territory. Dhillon received the recovered ball from Zanga outside the corner of the box, took a touch inside to set up his right foot and laced a shot near-post to beat Colorado Springs goalkeeper Moise Pouaty for the equalizer.
But despite LA’s momentum, Colorado Springs stole the result. In the 90th minute, Switchbacks FC orchestrated their best sequence of the game, topped off with another Frater header, this time from the feet of Conner Bevans.
COS – Kevaughn Frater 65’ (Assisted by Masta Kacher)
LA – Justin Dhillon 80’ (Assisted by Andre Zanga)
COS – Kevaughn Frater 90’ (Assisted Conner Bevans)
COS – Moise Pouaty 15’ (caution)
LA – Ethan Zubak 30’ (caution)
COS – Kevaughn Frater 38’ (caution)
LA – Jean Engola 42’ (caution)
COS – Eddy Prugh 68’ (caution)
LA – Ryo Fujii 82’ (caution)
Lineup: Bennett Sneddon; Zico Bailey (Adonis Amaya 66’), Jean Engola, Robert Castellanos, Josh Turnley ©; Jonathan Hernandez, Alejandro Covarrubias (Ryo Fujii 73’), Andre Zanga, Jorge Hernandez; Justin Dhillon, Ethan Zubak
Substitutions not used: Adrian Vera, Jonathan Estrada, Alex Juarez, Jake Arteaga, Eric Lopez
LA: SHOTS: 12 | SHOTS ON TARGET: 7 | FOULS: 12 | OFFSIDES: 0 | CORNERS: 2 | SAVES: 3
COS: SHOTS: 12 | SHOTS ON TARGET: 5 | FOULS: 15 | OFFSIDES: 3 | CORNERS: 4 | SAVES: 6
Head Referee: Farhad Dadkho
- LA Galaxy II (2-8-2, 8 points) fell 2-1 to Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC (5-4-5, 20 points) on Saturday night at StubHub Center Track & Field Stadium.
- Justin Dhillon scored his third goal of the season for LA Galaxy II. All goals have come in the second half.
- LA Galaxy II started a lineup that average an age of 19.9 years old. It’s the third time of the season LA Galaxy II Head Coach Mike Muñoz has trotted a starting lineup under the average age of 20.
- For the second game in a row, no MLS-signed LA Galaxy players participated in the match.
- The Galaxy are 1-4-1 at home this season.
- LA Galaxy Academy’s Jorge Hernandez and Zico Bailey started the match for Los Dos.
- Jorge Hernandez has now started four matches for GII in 2017, tied with Ian Lonergan and Alex Juarez for most of any Academy player.
- Justin Dhillon leads Galaxy II with three goals.
- Ethan Zubak leads Galaxy II with two assists.
- Former LA Galaxy II Head Coach Curt Onalfo was named LA Galaxy Head Coach on Dec. 13, 2016. Mike Muñoz was named LA Galaxy II Head Coach on Jan. 12, 2017.
- LA Galaxy II finished the 2016 USL Regular Season 12-7-11 (47 points).
- LA Galaxy II led the Western Conference in goals in 2016 (52).
- Next Saturday, Los Dos travel to Edinburg, Texas to face Rio Grande Valley FC. The match kicks off at 5:30 p.m. PT from H-E-B Park and will be streamed live on LAGalaxy.com/2.