LA Galaxy II (3-8-2, 11 points) snapped a three-game losing streak with a 1-0 victory over RGVFC (5-4-3, 17 points) on Saturday night at H-E-B Park in Edinburg, Texas. 16-year-old LA Galaxy Academy member Jonah Estrada bagged the team’s game-winner with his first ever goal for Los Dos, while goalkeeper Eric Lopez recorded his first USL shutout.
Galaxy II applied pressure from the opening whistle, with Alejandro Covarrubias leading the first-half charge offensively. Covarrubias forced good saves from RGVFC goalkeeper Calle Brown early, from a number of dangerous long-range efforts. Los Dos peppered the Rio Grande goal throughout the night, leaving Brown with eight saves at final whistle.
Galaxy II got the break they needed in the 70th minute, when poor control of the ball from RGVFC’s backline saw a bad pass fall to the feet of Justin Dhillon. An open Dhillon played a pressing Jonah Estrada through to the top of the box. Estrada took one touch and buried the shot right from the top center of the box, giving Galaxy just what it needed to grab all three points.
The team had given up a 90th minute a week earlier, but Los Dos closed the match off after a few final minutes of pressure from RGVFC in extra-time. The win is a part of a recent string of success for LA on the road; the team is now 2-1-1 in its last four away matches.
In just his fourth start, Lopez earned his first professional shutout and Los Dos’ first away shutout of the season. The 18-year-old was signed by LA Galaxy II following the 2014 USL season, at the age of 15. His signing made him the youngest player to ever sign a contract in USL and the second-ever LA Galaxy Academy player to sign a professional contract with Los Dos.
LA – Jonah Estrada 70’ (Assisted by Justin Dhillon)
LA – Jean Engola 3’ (caution)
RGV – Jorginho James 38’ (caution)
LA – Jonathan Hernandez 56’ (caution)
Lineup: Eric Lopez; Josh Turnley ©, Tyler Turner, Jean Engola, Robert Castellanos; Jonathan Hernandez (Ryo Fujii 73’), Andre Zanga, Jorge Hernandez, Alejandro Covarrubias; Justin Dhillon (Adrian Vera 82’), Adonis Amaya (Jonah Estrada 45’)
Substitutions not used: Bennett Sneddon, Zico Bailey, Jake Arteaga, Ryo Fujii
RGV: SHOTS: 8 | SHOTS ON TARGET: 2 | FOULS: 15 | OFFSIDES: 2 | CORNERS: 9 | SAVES: 8
LA: SHOTS: 12 | SHOTS ON TARGET: 9 | FOULS: 17 | OFFSIDES: 0 | CORNERS: 3 | SAVES: 1
Head Referee: Alex Chilowicz
- LA Galaxy II (3-8-2, 11 points) snapped a three-game losing streak with a 1-0 victory over RGVFC (5-4-3, 17 points) on Saturday night at H-E-B Park in Edinburg, Texas.
- In just his second appearance all-time for LA Galaxy II, Jonah Estrada scored his first goal Los Dos.
- Justin Dhillon assisted the score, and has now recorded three goals and one assist in his last six appearances.
- LA Galaxy Academy’s Jorge Hernandez and Jonah Estrada both appeared in the match.
- For the third match in a row, no LA Galaxy players were a part of the lineup.
- In their last meeting at H-E-B Park, the two sides played to a 1-1 draw on May 20.
- The Galaxy are 2-4-1 on the road this season.
- Six LA Galaxy Academy players have made their debuts for the club this season.
- Justin Dhillon leads the Galaxy with three goals.
- Zubak leads the team with two assists.
- Former LA Galaxy II Head Coach Curt Onalfo was named LA Galaxy Head Coach on Dec. 13, 2016. Mike Muñoz was named LA Galaxy II Head Coach on Jan. 12, 2017.
- LA Galaxy II finished the 2016 USL Regular Season 12-7-11 (47 points).
- LA Galaxy II led the Western Conference in goals in 2016 (52).
- Next, Los Dos return to StubHub Center Track & Field Stadium to take on Western Conference rival Sacramento Republic FC at 6:30 p.m. PT on Sunday, June 25. Tickets to the match are available for purchase here, and the match will be streamed live on LAGalaxy.com/2.