Homegrown Player Jack McBean made a grand resurgence with a brace after starting in the forward position. His two goals were his first since the 2013 season, and his rocket past Tim Howard for his first goal was particularly memorable. He merely had a tap in for his second goal, with midfielder Joao Pedro doing a great job on the buildup work. The win was secured with a penalty kick from Roman Alessandrini who had entered the game just five minutes earlier.
The Rapids did get a goal from Dillon Serna, a fellow Homegrown Player, which showed off a fair bit of skill. He was active in front of goal for much of the night.
- 5' - LA - Jack McBean Watch
- 37' - COL - Dillon Serna Watch
- 63' - LA - Jack McBean Watch
- 71' - LA - Roman Alessandrini (PK) Watch
- THE RETURN OF MAYOR MCBEAN: The Galaxy have struggled this season getting goals from players in the forward position, but Jack McBean took care of that with emphasis. The goals were each examples of something LA has been missing from the no. 9 position: smashing one from distance off a turnover, and poaching a sitter. Also this:
- ON THE ROAD AGAIN: MLS win trends historically favor home teams, but the Galaxy are bucking that trend with five road wins and better than a two goal-per-game average, both best in MLS. Officially 5-2-1 on the road this season, with only one win at home, LA might be responding better to adversity than comfort.
- NO CAUSE FOR CON-SERNA: McBean wasn't the only longtime Homegrown Player finding his footing again, Dillon Serna got his first start in 2017 and looked good doing it. Serna took 7 shots, 3 of which were on-target including the goal. Playing on the right he gave LA fits all game, and could be a good weapon for Colorado moving forward.
They Said It
"It's huge. Midweek, in Colorado, at Altitude, to get three points - people don't understand how difficult it is. You feel it in your chest the entire time." -LA Galaxy head coach Curt Onalfo
- Saturday, June 24th at Atlanta United (7:00 pm ET | MLS LIVE)
- Saturday, June 24th vs. Sporting Kansas City (10:30 pm ET | MLS LIVE)
LA Galaxy Postgame Notes
LA Galaxy 3, Colorado Rapids 1
Wednesday, June 21, 2017
2017 MLS Regular Season
Dick’s Sporting Goods Park – Commerce City, Colo.
- LA – Jack McBean 5’
- COL – Dillon Serna 37’ (Assisted By: Dominique Badji, Joshua Gatt)
- LA – Jack McBean 63’ (Assisted By: João Pedro)
- LA – Romain Alessandrini 71’ (penalty)
- COL – Mike da Fonte (caution)
- LA – Nathan Smith (caution)
- LA – João Pedro (caution)
LA Galaxy: Clement Diop; Nathan Smith, Dave Romney, Jelle Van Damme ©, Ashley Cole; João Pedro (Rafael Garcia 87’), Jaime Villarreal; Gyasi Zardes, Jose Villarreal (Bradford Jamieson IV 64’), Emmanuel Boateng (Romain Alessandrini 64’); Jack McBean.
Substitutions not used: Jon Kempin, Hugo Arellano, Ariel Lassiter, Jack McInerney.
Head Coach: Curt Onalfo
TOTAL SHOTS: 14; SHOTS ON GOAL: 7; FOULS: 12; OFFSIDE: 1; CORNER KICKS: 3; SAVES: 5
Colorado Rapids: Tim Howard; Mike da Fonte, Axel Sjoberg, Kortne Ford, Marlon Hairston; Joshua Gatt, Dillon Serna, Micheal Azira, Mohammed Saeid (Dillon Powers 68’); Kevin Doyle (Alan Gordon 68’), Dominique Badji (Caleb Calvert 68’)
Substitutions not used: Zac MacMath, Mekeil Williams, Eric Miller, Sam Hamilton.
Head Coach: Pablo Mastroeni
TOTAL SHOTS: 19; SHOTS ON GOAL: 6; FOULS: 18; OFFSIDE: 2; CORNER KICKS: 3; SAVES: 4
Referee: Chris Penso
Assistant Referees: Kermit Quisenberry, Andrew Bigelow
Fourth Official: Younes Marrakchi