LA Galaxy II Postgame Notes
LA Galaxy II 4, Portland Timbers FC 2 3
Sunday, July 9, 2017
2017 USL Regular Season
Providence Park – Portland, Ore.
PORTLAND (Sunday, July 9, 2017) – LA Galaxy II (4-11-2, 14 points) defeated Portland Timbers 2 (1-14-2, 5 points) 4-3 on Sunday afternoon at Providence Park in Portland. Three goals from Galaxy II in the first 15 minutes of the second half sparked Los Dos to victory and improved their away record to 3-5-1 on the season.
Galaxy II were slow to start the match on a hot day in Portland, finding themselves down 2-0 late in the first half. Timbers 2 forward Jeremy Ebobisse headed the home team’s opening goal into the net in the 25th minute, then provided an assist to defender Max Ornstil eight minutes later.
Just before the half, a handball in the box from Timbers 2 gave Galaxy II captain Tyler Turner the opportunity to step up and pull the Galaxy one back just before the halftime whistle.
In the second half, LA responded quickly, showing the away form that’s been one of their brightest spots all season. 15 minutes into the half, Adrian Vera had recorded a brace, while Justin Dhillon supplied a goal and an assist to Vera for a momentum swinging stretch that gave the Galaxy a 4-2 lead in the 60th minute.
Los Dos got their equalizer just two minutes after the start of the second half, when Dhillon created space outside the penalty area before swinging a perfectly placed left-footed cross to the feet an oncoming Adrian Vera for the easy score.
Three minutes later, Vera found himself in the right spot after T2 goalkeeper Kendall McIntosh saved a well struck left-footed effort from Ryo Fujii inside the penalty area. The ball rebounded to Vera, who brought it down through the legs of a Portland defender before smashing home his second goal on the day – the first multi-goal game of his career for Los Dos.
Dhillon added another in the 60th, which would turn out to be the game-winner after Portland pulled one back in the 82nd. Covarrubias slid a pass through to Dhillon from the top of the box, as the forward held his line until the last minute before releasing and receiving the ball to score his fifth goal of the season for LA.
LA Galaxy II have shown they can play on the road, but will return home this week looking to prove that they can have the same success at StubHub Center Track & Field Stadium. Next, Los Dos will host the Tulsa Roughnecks (7-8-0, 21 points) at 7:30 pm. PT on Thursday, July 13 at StubHub Center Track & Field Stadium. Tickets to that match are available for purchase here.
POR – Jeremy Ebobisse 25’ (Assisted by Marco Farfan)
POR – Max Ornstil 33’ (Assisted by Jeremy Ebobisse)
LA – Tyler Turner 44’ (penalty)
LA – Adrian Vera 47’ (Assisted by Justin Dhillon)
LA – Adrian Vera 50’
LA – Justin Dhillon 60’ (Assisted by Alejandro Covarrubias)
POR – Victor Arboleda 82’
LA – Adonis Amaya 18’ (caution)
LA – Jean Engola 28’ (caution)
LA – Adrian Vera 57’ (caution)
LA – Jonathan Hernadez 77’ (caution)
Lineup: Bennett Sneddon; Jean Engola, Robert Castellanos, Tyler Turner © (Jonathan Hernandez 87’), Josh Turnley; Ryo Fujii, Alejandro Covarrubias, Adrian Vera, Andre Zanga; Adonis Amaya (Ethan Zubak 22'), Justin Dhillon (Jonah Estrada 70’)
Substitutions not used: Eric Lopez
LA: SHOTS: 8 | SHOTS ON TARGET: 7 | FOULS: 18 | OFFSIDES: 1 | CORNERS: 1 | SAVES: 3
POR: SHOTS: 15 | SHOTS ON TARGET: 6 | FOULS: 15 | OFFSIDES: 4 | CORNERS: 7 | SAVES: 3
Head Referee: Joseph Dickerson
- LA Galaxy II (4-11-2, 14 points) defeated Portland Timbers 2 (1-14-2, 5 points) 4-3 on Sunday afternoon at Providence Park in Portland.
- Adrian Vera recorded two goals in the match for the first multi-goal performance of his career. He has four goals in 16 appearances this season.
- Justin Dhillon tallied one goal and one assist in the match. He now has five goals and two assists in the 13 appearances he’s recorded during his first season with Los Dos.
- Tyler Turner scored his first-ever goal for LA Galaxy II, on a penalty converted in the 44th minute.
- Galaxy II defeated Timbers 2 by a score of 4-1 in their last visit to Portland on July 16, 2016.
- LA are now 3-5-1 on the road in 2017.
- Justin Dhillon leads the team in goals (5).
- Ethan Zubak and Justin Dhillon co-lead the team in assists (2).
- LA Galaxy II finished the 2016 USL Regular Season 12-7-11 (47 points).
- Next, Los Dos return home for a match with the Tulsa Roughnecks (7-8-0, 21 points), taking place at 7:30 p.m. PT on Thursday, July 13 at StubHub Center Track & Field Stadium. Tickets to that match are available for purchase here.