LA Galaxy II Postgame Notes
LA Galaxy II 0, Phoenix Rising FC 2
Saturday, Aug. 5, 2017 – 7:30 p.m. PT
2017 USL Regular Season
StubHub Center Track & Field Stadium
LOS ANGELES (Saturday, Aug. 5, 2017) – LA Galaxy II (5-12-4, 19 points) had their four-game unbeaten streak snapped tonight as they fell to Phoenix Rising FC (7-7-4, 25 points) 2-0 at the StubHub Center Track & Field Stadium.
Los Dos started the first half strong on offense, maintaining the ball well for the first 10 minutes. But their momentum was stifled when Phoenix Rising FC’s Didier Drogba blasted a free kick from 35 yards away to put Phoenix up 1-0 in the 13th minute. Los Dos dominated possession in the first half and created multiple strong chances but were unable to level the score. Phoenix extended their lead before the half on a goal from Alessandro Riggi in the 45th minute, making the score 2-0 halfway through.
The Galaxy came out on the front foot in the second half, but were unable to convert a pair of chances in the first fifteen minutes. A shot from Justin Dhillon nicked the top of the bar and a breakaway chip attempted by Adrian Vera sailed just high. Los Dos goalkeeper Clement Diop made multiple diving saves keeping Phoenix off the board in the second half.
The score remained unchanged from the first half, ending in a 2-0 Phoenix win.
Next, Los Dos will travel to Weidner Field to take on the Colorado Springs Switchbacks at 6:00 p.m. PT on Friday, Aug. 18.
PHX – Didier Drogba 13’ (free kick)
PHX – Alessandro Riggi 45’ (Assisted by Blair Gavin)
LA – Jefrey Payeras 82’ (Caution)
Lineup: Clement Diop; Josh Turnley (Ulysses Llanez 88’), Bradley Diallo ©, Jefrey Payeras, Tyler Turner (Nathan Smith 54’), Adrian Vera, Jake Arteaga, Ryo Fujii, Ethan Zubak, Raul Mendiola (Alex Mendez 82’), Justin Dhillon
Substitutions not used: Eric Lopez, Jean Engola, Robert Castellanos, Jonathan Hernandez
LA: SHOTS: 7 | SHOTS ON TARGET: 2 | FOULS: 15 | OFFSIDES: 1 | CORNERS: 9 | SAVES: 4
PHX: SHOTS: 15 | SHOTS ON TARGET: 6 | FOULS: 11 | OFFSIDES: 2 | CORNERS: 5 | SAVES: 2
Head Referee: Ramy Touchen
Attendance: 1076, 63 dogs, 1 pig
- LA Galaxy II (5-12-4, 19 points) had their four-game unbeaten streak snapped tonight as they fell to Phoenix Rising FC (7-7-4, 25 points) 2-0 at the StubHub Center Track & Field Stadium.
- Four LA Galaxy players participated in tonight’s match: Clement Diop, Bradley Diallo, Nathan Smith and Raul Mendiola.
- Two LA Galaxy Academy players featured in the match. Jake Arteaga started while Ulysses Llanez was subbed on to make his LA Galaxy II debut.
- LA Galaxy II are now 2-7-3 at home this season.
- LA Galaxy II are 2-1-2 in the second half of the 2017 USL campaign.
- Justin Dhillon leads the team with 6 goals.
- Ethan Zubak leads the team with 3 assists.
- LA Galaxy II finished the 2016 USL Regular Season 12-7-11 (47 points).
- LA Galaxy II led the Western Conference in goals in 2016 (52).
- Next, Los Dos will travel to Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC at 6:00 p.m. PT on Friday, Aug. 18.