LA Galaxy II Postgame Notes
LA Galaxy II 2, Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC 1
Friday, Aug. 18, 2017 – 6:00 p.m. PT
2017 USL Regular Season
Weidner Field – Colorado Springs, Colo.
LOS ANGELES (Friday, Aug. 18, 2017) – LA Galaxy II (6-12-4, 22 points) defeated Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC 2-1 (9-7-4, 33 points) on Friday night at Weidner Field in Colorado Springs, Colo.
An experienced backline of Nathan Smith, Bradley Diallo, Jefrey Payeras and Hugo Arellano held Colorado Springs scoreless in the first half, continuing Los Dos’ recent stretch of defensive success. In LA Galaxy II’s last four games, they have conceded an average of one goal per match.
That execution set LA Galaxy II up for an early second half goal, when a cross-field switch from Jack McBean put Ariel Lassiter in an advantageous position in the final third. Receiving the ball just inside the top of the penalty area, Lassiter faked a shot, cut inside to create space, a neatly tucked away the game’s opening goal at the far post.
Colorado Springs got their answer, when Switchbacks FC forward Kevaughn Frater forced a turnover at midfield, took the ball all the way to LA Galaxy II’s touchline and squared a perfect pass to Aaron King in the middle of the penalty area for the easy finish. King had netted a winning brace against Los Dos in LA on June 10.
But LA Galaxy II kept the pressure on, and in the 87th minute, Lassiter returned the favor to McBean, serving an almost identical cross-field switch to McBean just outside the penalty area. Instead of a shot, McBean tried to find Raul Mendiola at the back post, but defender Sean McFarlane attempted to intercept. In the process, he poked the ball straight into the back of the net for Los Dos’ game winner.
McFarlane banged a volley off the post in the 93rd minute, but ultimately Los Dos were able to preserve the lead and secure the victory.
With three points towards a last-chance playoff push and ten games left in the 2017 USL Regular Season, Los Dos travel to face Vancouver Whitecaps FC away on Aug. 27 before a three-game home stretch against Rio Grande Valley FC, Reno 1868 FC and San Antonio FC from Sept. 3-9.
LA – Ariel Lassiter 52’ (Assisted by Jack McBean)
COS – Aaron King 77’ (Assisted by Kevaughn Frater)
LA – Sean McFarlane 87’ (own goal)
LA – Jack McBean 17’ (caution)
COS – Luke Vercollone 59’ (caution)
LA – Alejandro Covarrubias 63’ (caution)
LA – Hugo Arellano 64’ (caution)
COS – Sean McFarlane 64’ (caution)
COS – Josh Suggs 85’ (caution)
Lineup: Eric Lopez; Nathan Smith, Jefrey Payeras, Bradley Diallo, Hugo Arellano; Raul Mendiola (Tyler Turner 90’+4’), Jaime Villarreal, Alejandro Covarrubias, Ariel Lassiter; Ethan Zubak, Jack McBean
Substitutions not used: Bennett Sneddon, Jean Engola, Jonathan Hernandez, Ryo Fujii, Adrian Vera, Jonah Estrada
COS: SHOTS: 18 | SHOTS ON TARGET: 10 | FOULS: 9 | OFFSIDES: 3 | CORNERS: 8 | SAVES: 5
LA: SHOTS: 12 | SHOTS ON TARGET: 6 | FOULS: 15 | OFFSIDES: 4 | CORNERS: 3 | SAVES: 4
Head Referee: Ekaterina Koroleva
- LA Galaxy II (6-12-4, 22 points) defeated Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC 2-1 (9-7-4, 33 points) on Friday night at Weidner Field in Colorado Springs, Colo.
- With the win, LA Galaxy remain 13th in the USL Western Conference standings with 10 games to play. At 22 points, they are seven points out of playoff inclusion.
- Seven LA Galaxy players started the match for Los Dos: Nathan Smith, Bradley Diallo, Hugo Arellano, Raul Mendiola, Jaime Villarreal, Ariel Lassiter and Jack McBean.
- LA Galaxy Academy product Eric Lopez made his 9th start of the season. The 18-year-old made just one start in 2016.
- Ariel Lassiter scored his 3rd goal of the season on an assist from Jack McBean. Lassiter has made nine appearances for Los Dos this season.
- LA are 4-5-1 on the road in 2017. Colorado Springs are 6-3-3 at home.
- Justin Dhillon (6) and Adrian Vera (5) lead the team in goals this season.
- Ethan Zubak leads the team with three assists.
- Next, Los Dos travel to McLeod Athletic Park to take on Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2 at 3 p.m. PT on Sunday, Aug. 27 (streamed live on LAGalaxy.com/2).