LA Galaxy II (8-19-5, 29 points) fell 2-1 in their final game of the 2017 USL Regular Season on Saturday night against Real Monarchs SLC (20-5-7, 67 points) at Rio Tinto Stadium in Salt Lake City.
LA fell behind early, conceding off a corner in the 6th minute when Real Monarchs SLC’s Emilio Orozco beat Jean Engola for the game’s first goal. The hole got a little bigger when Sebastian Velasquez fired a shot on goal that deflected off Ryo Fujii before going into the back of the net.
After a few breakaway chances and one-on-ones with SLC’s goalkeeper, Adrian Vera was able to convert on his chance, pulling Galaxy II one back in the 42nd minute, just before the close of the half that ended 2-1.
The score held for the final 45 as Galaxy II were unable to put much together, registering only one shot in the second half. Real Monarchs SLC, the USL Supporters’ Shield winners, finished their impressive 2017 campaign with a home win.
On a positive note, Miguel Aguilar appeared in the match, subbing on in the 83rd minute – his first time on the field since tearing his ACL on the team’s opening game of the season on March 25.
The 2017 marks the first in LA Galaxy II club history that the team did not qualify for the USL Cup Playoffs.
SLC – Emilio Orozco 6’ (Assisted by Diego Calvo)
SLC – Sebastian Velasquez 19’
LA – Adrian Vera 42’
LA – Alejandro Covarrubias 47’ (caution)
LA – Hugo Arellano 58’ (caution)
LA – Jean Engola 90’+4’ (caution)
LA – Tyler Turner 90’+7’ (caution)
Lineup: Justin Vom Steeg; Hugo Arellano, Jean Engola, Jefrey Payeras, Tyler Turner; Adrian Vera, Jaime Villarreal (Miguel Aguilar 83’), Alejandro Covarrubias, Ryo Fujii (Jorge Hernandez 83’); Justin Dhillon (Alex Mendez 76’), Ethan Zubak.
Bench: Bennett Sneddon, Jake Arteaga, Zico Bailey, Jonathan Estrada
LA: SHOTS: 13 | SHOTS ON TARGET: 4 | FOULS: 11 | OFFSIDES: 0 | CORNERS: 2 | SAVES: 2
SLC: SHOTS: 9 | SHOTS ON TARGET: 4 | FOULS: 10 | OFFSIDES: 4 | CORNERS: 11 | SAVES: 3
- LA Galaxy II (8-19-5, 29 points) fell 2-1 in their final game of the 2017 USL Regular Season on Saturday night against Real Monarchs SLC (20-5-7, 67 points) at Rio Tinto Stadium in Salt Lake City.
- Miguel Aguilar appeared in the match, subbing on in the 83rd minute – his first time on the field since tearing his ACL on the team’s opening game of the season on March 25.
- LA Galaxy II finished the 2017 season with a 4-8-4 record at home and a 4-11-1 record away.
- 10 members of the LA Galaxy Academy participated in LA Galaxy II matches this season. Only one appeared in a 2016 contest.
- Justin Dhillon and Adrian Vera (6) co-led the team in goals this season.
- Ethan Zubak led the team with 3 assists.
- For the first time in club history, LA Galaxy II does not qualify for the USL Cup Playoffs.