LA Galaxy II (0-1-0, 0 points) are on the road for a second straight weekend to start the 2018 USL Regular Season campaign. They will face USL expansion side Fresno FC (0-1-0, 0 points) at 7 p.m. PT on Saturday, March 24 at Chukchansi Park in Fresno, Calif. (streamed live on LAGalaxy.com/2).
Despite traveling a fresh roster and lineup to Los Dos’ season opener in Colorado Springs, the team was unable to get a result in the high-altitude, winter conditions. Colorado Springs scored once in each half, shutting out Los Dos along the way and limiting the away team to limited chances.
LA Galaxy II started six of his new signings in the match, including Nate Shultz, Emmanuel Appiah, John Requejo, Frank Lopez and Julian Büscher. LA Galaxy’s Tomas Hilliard-Arce also participated in his first match for the side.
With so many new pieces, it’s expected that the team will take time to develop chemistry. But LA Galaxy II Head Coach Mike Muñoz is optimistic about the group’s potential, as he expressed ahead of opening weekend.
“We’ve added some experienced pieces up the spine of our field. We have veterans who can help mold the young guys,” Munoz said. “The sheer quality of the group has improved. We feel like it’s still a group that will still be among one of the younger teams in the USL, but we believe we’re at a better starting place.”
In the match, an altercation involving Hugo Arellano and Adrian Vera resulted in the two being suspended for upcoming LA Galaxy II matches. Vera was suspended one match and will be unavailable for selection against Fresno. Arellano has been suspended for three matches. LA Galaxy II will, however, regain Jean Engola from suspension, who missed the season opener after being shown red in the team’s 2017 finale.
LA Galaxy 0 | Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC 2: Colorado Springs scored on the each side of the half as they shut out Los Dos. Six new players featured for LA Galaxy II in the match: Tomas Hilliard-Arce, Nate Shultz, John Requejo, Emmanuel Appiah, Julian Büscher and Frank Lopez.
Fresno FC 2 | Las Vegas Lights FC 3: Fresno FC were down 3-0 after the 63rd minute. The Californian side got goals from Fresno FC’s Jemal Johnson and Renato Bustamante in the final 20 minutes of the match, but the comeback was not enough in front of the crowd of 7,769 fans.
LA Galaxy II: 8-19-5, 29 points
Fresno FC: N/A
- LA Galaxy II fell in their 2018 season opener, 2-0 away to Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC.
- Los Dos signed seven new players this offseason: Geoffrey Acheampong, Nate Shultz, Emmanuel Appiah, John Requejo, Frank Lopez, Wade Hamilton and Julian Büscher.
- LA Galaxy II finished the 2017 season with a 4-8-4 home record and a 4-11-1 away record.
- Justin Dhillon and Adrian Vera co-led the team in goals in 2017 (6).
- Ethan Zubak led LA Galaxy II in assists in 2017 (3).
- Next, the LA Galaxy return to StubHub Center to host their Home Opener against San Antonio FC on Saturday, March 31 at StubHub Center.