LA Galaxy II were able to earn a point with a 1-1 draw against Fresno FC in their first-ever match against the new Californian side on Saturday night at Chukchansi Park in Fresno, Calif.
The Galaxy started the game off on the front foot and were rewarded when they were able to cash in on an early chance. Earning a corner, Julian Büscher delivered a cross near post to Emmanuel Appiah, who headed home his first goal in a Galaxy shirt in the third minute. Signed to the club in March, Appiah was most recently a member of Saint Louis FC.
LA looked to be in good standing, up until a dangerous tackle from Los Dos forward Justin Dhillon in the 24th minute. The slide tackle from Dhillon in the team’s own half was enough to earn the red card from head referee Vincent Apple-Chiarella and quickly put Los Dos on the defense. They were able to hold Fresno to a shutout in the first 45, leading 1-0 at halftime.
Wade Hamilton helped the Galaxy stay level into the later part of the second half, highlighted by an impressive one-handed save in the 69th minute. But Fresno were consistent in their attack and were able to break through in the 75th minute. A ball was delivered out to Fresno’s Alex Cooper on the wing and Los Dos defender Nate Shultz lunged to knock it away. But it bounced off Cooper, and with Shultz out of the play, he slotted home Fresno’s equalizer.
A 10-man Los Dos was able to hold off Fresno for the remainder of the match, securing the team’s first point of the season. Next, the team will return to StubHub Center to host their 2018 Home Opener on Saturday, March 31 against San Antonio FC (3:30 p.m. PT). Tickets to the match are available for purchase here.
LA – Emmanuel Appiah (Assisted by Julian Büscher) 3’
COS – Alex Cooper 75’
LA – Justin Dhillon 24’ (ejection)
LA – Julian Büscher 51’ (caution)
LA Galaxy: Wade Hamilton; Nate Shultz, Jean Engola, Ian Lonergan, John Requejo; Miguel Aguilar, Julian Büscher, Emmanuel Appiah, Geoffrey Acheampong (Jonathan Hernandez 88’); Frank Lopez (Ethan Zubak 54’), Justin Dhillon.
Substitutions not used:Eric Lopez, Taylor Davila, Jake Arteaga, Andre Zanga, Jorge Hernandez
TOTAL SHOTS: 1; SHOTS ON GOAL: 1; FOULS: 10; OFFSIDE: 0; CORNER KICKS: 1; SAVES: 5.
Fresno FC: Kyle Reynish; Zachary Ellis-Hayden, Michael Daly, Ramon Del Campo, Alex Cooper; Danny Barrera (Noah Verhoeven 84’), Pedro Ribeiro, Agustin Cazarez (Christian Chaney 70’), Jemal Johnson; Juan Pablo Caffa, Renato Bustamante (Terran Campbell 88’)
Substitutions not used: Sean Melvin, Alberto Navarro, Rony Argueta, Bradley Fewo
TOTAL SHOTS: 17; SHOTS ON GOAL: 6; FOULS: 19; OFFSIDE: 5; CORNER KICKS: 6; SAVES: 0.
Referee: Vincent Apple-Chiarella
- LA Galaxy II (0-1-1, 1 point) were able to earn a point with a 1-1 draw against Fresno FC (0-1-1, 1 points) in their first-ever match with against the new Californian side on Saturday night at Chukchansi Park in Fresno, Calif.
- New Los Dos signing Emmanuel Appiah scored in his second start for the club, heading home a corner in the 3rd minute.
- Julian Büscher, also a new signing, recorded his first assist for the club in the match.
- LA Galaxy midfielder Geoffrey Acheampong, signed in March, made his first start for the club.
- LA Galaxy Academy’s Ian Lonergan started the match.
- LA Galaxy II finished the 2017 USL Regular Season 8-19-5 with 29 points.
- LA Galaxy II will host their 2018 Home Opener on Saturday, March 31 at StubHub Center against San Antonio FC at 3:30 p.m. PT. Tickets to the match are on sale now, available here.