LA Galaxy II (0-2-2, 2 points) fell 3-0 to Orange County SC (4-1-1, 13 points) on Saturday night at Orange County Great Park in Irvine, Calif. Los Dos’ Jean Engola and Alex Mendez were both red-carded in the match as Galaxy II finished the night with nine men.
Los Dos became short-handed early on in the match, when a breakaway opportunity for Orange County left Jean Engola chasing in pursuit. Engola’s tackle from behind was unsuccessful and resulted in a straight red from head referee Mark Allatin.
Orange County’s Mark Segbers took advantage just before the close of the first half, finishing a one-on-one opportunity through the legs of LA Galaxy II goalkeeper Eric Lopez. Orange County led 1-0 at the end of the first 45.
Nine minutes into the second half, Los Dos were shorted another player when LA Galaxy Academy’s Alex Mendez left his feet for a tackle in an attempt to force a turnover, earning a straight red. Just four minutes after, Orange County doubled their lead with another score from Segbers. Nansel Selbol capped the night for Orange County with a third goal in the 88th minute.
Next, Los Dos kick off a two-game week starting with Phoenix Rising FC at 7:30 p.m. PT on Wednesday, April 11 at StubHub Center Track & Field Stadium. Tickets to the match are available for purchase now, here.
OC – Mark Segbers 45’ (Assisted by Michael Seaton)
OC – Mark Segbers 58’ (Assisted by Koji Hashimoto)
OC – Nansel Selbol 88’ (Assisted by Koji Hashimoto)
LA – Jean Engola 30’ (ejection)
LA – Alex Mendez 54’ (ejection)
OC – Noah Powder 56’ (caution)
OC – Thomas Enevoldsen 71’ (caution)
OC – Thomas Juel-Nielsen 82’ (caution)
LA – Frank Lopez 83’ (caution)
OC – Michael Seaton 84’ (caution)
OC – Nansel Selbol 89’ (caution)
LA Galaxy II: Eric Lopez; Jonathan Hernandez, Jean Engola, Tomas Hilliard-Arce, John Requejo; Adrian Vera, Alex Mendez, Joäo Pedro (Ethan Zubak 81’), Emmanuel Appiah, Ulysses Llanez (Frank Lopez 69’); Justin Dhillon (Julian Büscher 59’)
Substitutions not used:Geoffrey Acheampong, Miguel Aguilar, John Pulskamp, Nate Shultz
TOTAL SHOTS: 16; SHOTS ON GOAL: 5; FOULS: 9; OFFSIDE: 2; CORNER KICKS: 5; SAVES: 4.
Orange County SC: Andre Rawls; Oscar Sorto, Thomas Juel-Nielsen, Alex Crognale, Noah Powder (Nansel Selbol 71’); Aodhan Quinn, Richard Chaplow (Mark Segbers 23’), Christian Duke, Koji Hashimoto; Michael Seaton (Mats Bjurman 85’), Thomas Enevoldsen
Substitutions not used: Casey Beyers, Giovanni Ramos Godoy, Joseph Amico, Walker Hume,
TOTAL SHOTS: 16; SHOTS ON GOAL: 7; FOULS: 14; OFFSIDE: 7; CORNER KICKS: 8; SAVES: 4.
Referee: Mark Allatin
- LA Galaxy II (0-2-2, 2 points) fell 3-0 to Orange County SC (4-1-1, 13 points) on Saturday night at Orange County Great Park in Irvine, Calif.
- LA Galaxy II’s Jean Engola and Alex Mendez were both red-carded in the match. They will not be eligible for the team’s next fixture against Phoenix Rising FC on Wednesday, April 11.
- Eric Lopez made his first start of the season for LA Galaxy II.
- LA Galaxy Academy’s Ulysses Llanez and Alex Mendez both made their first starts of the season in the match.
- Los Dos signed seven new players this offseason: Geoffrey Acheampong, Nate Shultz, Emmanuel Appiah, John Requejo, Frank Lopez, Wade Hamilton and Julian Büscher.
- LA Galaxy II are 0-2-1 on the road this season. They are 0-0-1 at home.
- LA Galaxy II finished the 2017 season with a 4-8-4 home record and a 4-11-1 away record.
- Next, Los Dos kick off a two-game week starting with Phoenix Rising FC at 7:30 p.m. PT on Wednesday, April 11 at StubHub Center Track & Field Stadium. Tickets to the match are available for purchase now, here.