LA Galaxy II (0-4-3, 3 points) drew 1-1 with New York Red Bulls II (3-1-2, 11 points) on Sunday evening at StubHub Center Track & Field Stadium. LA Galaxy Academy’s Ulysses Llanez scored his first career professional goal in the match.
After struggling to get much for quality chances in the first 45, Llanez finished Los Dos’ one shot on goal in the first half. In a play salvaged by hustle from Ethan Zubak, the forward slid a pass to the open Llanez who had enough space to pick out the top corner and earn the game’s first goal.
For just the second time this season, Los Dos went into halftime with a 1-0 lead.
LA Galaxy II kept the pressure on in the second half, coming closest when Ariel Lassiter’s shot on goal was blocked by a Red Bulls defender with the goalkeeper out of the play. Los Dos nearly doubled their lead again when an Ethan Zubak swerving volley required a one-handed save from Red Bulls’ goalkeeper Evan Louro. But Red Bulls would find their equalizer shortly after, breaking down Los Dos with two passes down the length of the field. A deep pass from Louro was flicked on perfectly by Stefano Bonomo, setting up Amando Moreno for the score.
The open, exciting game was back and forth in the final 15 minutes, but neither club could find the game winner.
Next, LA Galaxy II will get their second match of the season against Phoenix Rising FC. The two will kick off at 6:30 p.m. PT on Friday, May 4 at Phoenix Rising FC Soccer Complex in Scottsdale, Ariz.
LA – Ulysses Llanez 35’ (Assisted by Ethan Zubak)
NY – Amando Moreno 78’ (Assisted by Stefano Bonomo)
NY – Jordan Scarlett 13’ (caution)
LA – Ariel Lassiter 39’ (caution)
LA – João Pedro 60’ (caution)
NY – Cristian Cásseres Jr. 90’+3’ (caution)
LA Galaxy II: Justin Vom Steeg; Emrah Klimenta, Jean Engola, Hugo Arellano, John Requejo; João Pedro, Julian Büscher; Ariel Lassiter, Efrain Alvarez (Geoffrey Acheampong 67’), Ulysses Llanez (Miguel Aguilar 87’); Ethan Zubak
Substitutions not used: Eric Lopez, Jonathan Hernandez, Andre Zanga, Justin Dhillon, Alex Mendez.
TOTAL SHOTS: 16; SHOTS ON GOAL: 4; FOULS: 6; OFFSIDE: 0; CORNER KICKS: 3; SAVES: 4.
New York Red Bulls II: Evan Louro; Niko De Vera, Fidel Escobar, Jordan Scarlett, Ethan Kutler, Cristian Cásseres Jr., Andrew Tinari, Jose Aquinaga (John Murphy 77’), Carlos Rivas (Amando Moreno 37’), Stefano Bonomo, Brian White (Tom Barlow 86’)
Substitutions not used: Scott Levene, Kevin Politz, Hassan Ndam, Chris Lema.
TOTAL SHOTS: 12; SHOTS ON GOAL: 5; FOULS: 15; OFFSIDE: 4; CORNER KICKS: 9; SAVES: 2.
Referee: Ramy Touchan
- LA Galaxy II (0-4-3, 3 points) drew 1-1 with New York Red Bulls II (3-1-2, 11 points) on Sunday evening at StubHub Center Track & Field Stadium.
- LA Galaxy II are now 0-1-2 at home in 2018.
- New York Red Bulls II entered the match as the league’s highest scoring team.
- LA Galaxy Academy’s Ulysses Llanez scored his first career professional goal for Los Dos.
- Ethan Zubak recorded his first assist of the season.
- Efrain Alvarez made his first start of the season for LA Galaxy II.
- Los Dos signed seven new players this offseason: Geoffrey Acheampong, Nate Shultz, Emmanuel Appiah, John Requejo, Frank Lopez, Wade Hamilton and Julian Büscher.
- LA Galaxy II finished the 2017 season with a 4-8-4 home record and a 4-11-1 away record.
- Justin Dhillon and Adrian Vera co-led the team in goals in 2017 (6).
- Ethan Zubak led LA Galaxy II in assists in 2017 (3).
- Next, LA Galaxy II will get their second match of the season against Phoenix Rising FC. The two will kick off at 6:30 p.m. PT on Friday, May 4 at Phoenix Rising FC Soccer Complex in Scottsdale, Ariz.