LA Galaxy II (1-6-3, 6 points) let a second half comeback slip into a 7-3 loss to Portland Timbers 2 (6-3-2, 20 points) on Friday at Providence Park in Portland, Ore.
Los Dos was slow to start, with a few defensive mishaps that led to Portland goals in the 25th and 43rd minutes of the first half.
But LA Galaxy II came out of halftime looking for goals. After securing his first professional hat trick a week before, Efrain Alvarez added another goal to his streak, with a perfectly curled shot into the far post in the 49th minute.
In the 57th minute, a hard battle ensued within the box between Jean Engola and an opposing player, with Engola winning the duel. The contact was too physical for the referee, he and awarded Portland with a penalty kick that was successfully converted by Foster Langsdorf.
Los Dos responded a few minutes later with back-to-back goals. The first came from Miguel Aguilar, who darted through a swarm of Portland defenders to score in the 59th minute. Less than 10 minutes later, Alvarez scored his second goal of the match, which he blasted into the back of the net to level the scoreline at 3-3.
Portland Timbers 2 responded in the 81st minute with a goal to regain their lead. From there, a defeated Los Dos went on to concede three more goals in stoppage time.
Next, LA Galaxy II will travel to face Rio Grande Valley FC Toros at 5 p.m. PT on Wednesday, May 23 at H-E-B Park in Edinburg, Tex.
POR – Foster Langsdorf 25’ (Assisted by Victor Arboleda)
POR – Foster Langsdorf 43’ (Assisted by James Mulligan)
LA – Efrain Alvarez 49’ (Assisted by Miguel Aguilar)
POR – Foster Langsdorf 57’ (Penalty Kick)
LA – Miguel Aguilar 59’ (Assisted by Emmanual Appiah)
LA – Efrain Alvarez 68’
POR – Eryk Williamson 81’ ( Assisted by Marvin Loria)
POR – Marvin Loria 90+1’
POR – Victor Arboleda 90+4’
POR – Augustine Williams 90+5’ (Assisted by Marvin Loria)
LA – Miguel Aguilar 47’
POR – Marvin Loria 58’
POR – Bill Poni Tuiloma 80’
POR – Andre Lewis 87’
LA – Emmanuel Appiah 90+1’
LA Galaxy II: Eric Lopez, John Requejo, Hugo Arellano, Jean Engola, Nate Shultz (Julian Büscher 87’), Adrián Vera (Geoffrey Acheampong 58’), Emmanuel Appiah, Andre Zanga, Miguel Aguilar, Frank Lopez (Efrain Alvarez 45’), Ethan Zubak
Substitutions not used: Wade Hamilton, Jonathan Hernandez, João Peoro Machado
TOTAL SHOTS: 13; SHOTS ON GOAL: 5; FOULS: 13; OFFSIDE: 0; CORNER KICKS: 7; SAVES: 5.
Portland Timbers 2: Alex Mangels, Jimmy Mulligan, Vytas Andriuškevicius (Lamar Batista 45’), Bill Poni Tuiloma, Modou Jadama, Renzo Zambrano, Marvin Loria, Eryk Williamson, Jack Barmby (Andre Lewis 70’), Victor Arboleda, Foster Langsford (Augustine Williams 83’)
Substitutions not used: Austin Pack, Harold Hanson, Josh Phillips, Christian Enriquez
TOTAL SHOTS: 21; SHOTS ON GOAL: 12; FOULS: 13; OFFSIDE: 2; CORNER KICKS: 3; SAVES: 2.
Referee: Mike Hohnholz
- LA Galaxy II (1-6-3, 6 points) let a second half comeback slip into a 7-3 loss to Portland Timbers 2 (6-3-2, 20 points) on Friday at Providence Park in Portland, Ore.
- Los Dos conceded a season-high seven goals in the match.
- LA Galaxy II are now 0-5-1 away from home in 2018.
- Alvarez has scored in back-to-back games.
- 24-year-old Miguel Aguilar scored his first professional goal for LA Galaxy II.
- Julian Büscher, Nate Shultz and Miguel Aguilar co-lead LA Galaxy II in assists this season (2).
- Alvarez leads LA Galaxy II in goals this season (6).
- LA Galaxy II finished the 2017 season with a 4-8-4 home record and a 4-11-1 away record.
- Next, LA Galaxy II will travel to face Rio Grande Valley FC Toros at 5 p.m. PT on Wednesday, May 23 at H-E-B Park in Edinburg, Tex.