LA Galaxy II (2-6-4, 10 points) lit up Las Vegas Lights FC (2-4-4, 10 points) by a final score of 7-2 on Saturday evening at StubHub Center Track & Field Stadium. Ethan Zubak led the way with four goals, setting a new LA Galaxy II single-game record for goals and helping his squad to a club record seven goals scored in a single game.
After a sloppy start, Los Dos initially trailed in the match when they conceded a goal to Las Vegas Lights in the 7thminute. But the response was immediate – and historic – as Zubak rattled off three goals in exactly eight minutes and twenty seconds, becoming the fastest player to record a hat trick in USL history.
Zubak was set up well for the first, with a calm volley of a perfect cross in from Julian Büscher to a vacant penalty area. On the second, a Las Vegas defender mishandled a dangerous ball from Ulysses Llanez, leaving an easy conversion for Zubak. On the third, Zubak showed skill when he banked in a shot off the post from the top of the box. In just eight minutes, Zubak had collected his second career hat trick and his second of the 2018 season.
Lights FC weren’t without a response though, as Kobayashi answered with a goal in the 22nd to bring the score to 3-2. After five goals on the front side of the first half, the game cooled and the two sides entered the half with a 3-2 scoreline.
It was all Los Dos in the second half though, as Zubak picked up right where he left off with another goal in the 54th, this time set up on an expertly placed ball from Llanez.
Ariel Lassiter would carry the torch from there, finishing the game off with two goals of his own. Julian Büscher also chipped in, securing his first goal in the LA Galaxy II uniform.
LA Galaxy II have now scored 20 goals in their last five games. The show goes on when LA Galaxy II return to StubHub Center Track & Field Stadium next weekend to face Tulsa Roughnecks FC on Saturday, June 2 (7:30 p.m. PT).
LV - Daigo Kobayashi 7’ (Assisted by Samuel Ochoa)
LA – Ethan Zubak 10’ (Assisted by Julian Büscher)
LA – Ethan Zubak 16’
LA – Ethan Zubak 18’ (Assisted by Alex Mendez)
LV - Daigo Kobayashi 22’ (Assisted by Carlos Alvarez)
LA – Ethan Zubak 54’ (Assisted by Ulysses Llanez)
LA – Ariel Lassiter 60’ (Assisted by Julian Büscher)
LA – Julian Büscher 87’ (Assisted by Ariel Lassiter)
LA – Ariel Lassiter 89’ (Assisted by Julian Büscher)
LA – Ethan Zubak 17’ (caution)
LA – Bradford Jamieson IV 28’
LV – Christian Torres 38’
LV – Marco Jaime 41’
LA Galaxy II: Justin Vom Steeg; Jonathan Hernandez, Jean Engola, Emmanuel Appiah, John Requejo; Ulysses Llanez (Miguel Aguilar 79’), Julian Büscher ©, Andre Zanga, Bradford Jamieson IV (Ariel Lassiter HT); Alex Mendez, Ethan Zubak (Frank Lopez 73’)
Substitutions not used: Eric Lopez, Nate Shultz, Adrian Vera, Geoffrey Acheampong.
TOTAL SHOTS: 16; SHOTS ON GOAL: 7; FOULS: 17; OFFSIDE: 5; CORNER KICKS: 2; SAVES: 1.
Las Vegas Lights FC: Ricardo Ferriño; Juan Herrera-Perla, Joel Huiqui ©, Marco Jaime, Marcelo Alatorre; Christian Torres (Juan Jose Calderon 58’), Matt Thomas, Daigo Kobayashi (Freddy Adu 65’); Carlos Alvarez, Eric Avila (Julian Portugal 79’), Sammy Ochoa
Substitutions not used: Angel Alvarez, Alex Mendoza.
TOTAL SHOTS: 14; SHOTS ON GOAL: 4; FOULS: 6; OFFSIDE: 4; CORNER KICKS: 2; SAVES: 2.
Referee: Michael Radchuk
- LA Galaxy II (2-6-4, 10 points) lit up Las Vegas Lights FC (2-4-4, 10 points) with a final score of 7-2 on Saturday evening at StubHub Center Track & Field Stadium. LA Galaxy II are 0-5-2 away from home in 2018.
- LA Galaxy II are now 2-1-2 at home this season.
- LA Galaxy II scored a club record seven goals in one match.
- Ethan Zubak scored four goals in the match: a career high and a new LA Galaxy II record.
- He scored three goals in eight minutes, securing the record for the fastest hat trick in USL history.
- It’s Zubak’s second hat trick of the season, collected in the same month as his first, on May 9 against Saint Louis FC.
- Zubak’s hat tricks came in consecutive home matches.
- Ariel Lassiter scored two goals in the match, his first two of the 2018 season with LA Galaxy II.
- Julian Büscher scored his first goal in an LA Galaxy II kit this evening.
- Büscher also recorded three assists on the evening.
- LA Galaxy Academy’s Ulysses Llanez and Alex Mendez returned to action for Los Dos after returning from U.S. Youth National Team U-20 Training Camp. Both recorded one assist in tonight’s match.
- Julian Büscher leads LA Galaxy II in assists this season (5).
- Zubak leads LA Galaxy II in goals this season (7).
- LA Galaxy II finished the 2017 season with a 4-8-4 home record and a 4-11-1 away record.
- The show goes on when LA Galaxy II return to StubHub Center Track & Field Stadium next weekend to face Tulsa Roughnecks FC on Saturday, June 2 (7:30 p.m. PT).