LA Galaxy II (5-9-4, 19 points) earned all three points on the road against rivals Orange County SC (9-6-3, 30 points) with a final score of 3-0. The victory secured Galaxy II’s first win on the road of the 2018 season.
LA Galaxy II came out strong with an early goal in the 3rd minute. After a great sequence of offensive play up the right wing, Adrian Vera found Ethan Zubak who navigated his way just outside the box. Zubak unleashed a shot across the keeper, finding the back of the net. In the 23rd minute, Frank Lopez doubled Los Dos’ lead by capitalizing on an Orange County SC defensive error. Weaving through two defenders inside the box, Lopez calmly slotted the ball across the keeper to score.
With a strong offensive performance in the first half, Los Dos looked to head into halftime on a positive note. However, a poorly timed tackle from Geoffrey Acheampong during stoppage time resulted in his second yellow card of the evening. Acheampong was shown the red card by the head referee and was sent off.
Although down to 10 men opening the second half, LA Galaxy II did not let this disadvantage affect the momentum they took from the first half. Los Dos continued their search for scoring opportunities and struck gold in 52nd minute when awarded a free kick. Captain Julian Büscher stepped up to take the free kick and sent a perfectly curling ball into the box, finding the head of Jonathan Hernandez. Hernandez tucked it right above OC’s goalkeeper, earning his first professional goal for Los Dos.
LA Galaxy II also put on a solid defensive performance to record their second shutout win of the season, led by goalkeeper Brian Sylvestre, who saw his first start for the team. Sylvestre made six exceptional saves to earn his first clean sheet with LA Galaxy II.
Next, LA Galaxy II return home to face Reno 1868 FC for the first time this season on Wednesday, July 11 at 7:30 p.m. PT at StubHub Center Track & Field Stadium. Tickets to the match are available here.
LA – Ethan Zubak 3’ (Assisted by Adrian Vera)
LA – Frank Lopez 23’
LA – Jonathan Hernandez 52’
LA – Geoffrey Acheampong 15’
OC – Alex Crognale 41’
LA – Geoffrey Acheampong 45+1’ (Sent Off)
LA – Brian Sylvestre 62’
LA Galaxy II: Brian Sylvestre, John Requejo, Andre Ulrich Zanga, Hugo Arellano, Nick Shultz, Adrian Vera, Julian Büscher ©, Geoffrey Acheampong, Jon Hernandez, Frank Lopez (Justin Dhillon 61’), Ethan Zubak
Substitutions not used: Wade Hamilton, Jean Engola, Kobe Hernandez, Miguel Aguilar
TOTAL SHOTS: 6; SHOTS ON GOAL: 3; FOULS: 15; OFFSIDE: 1; CORNER KICKS: 3; SAVES: 6.
Orange County SC: Casey Beyers, Owusu-Ansah Kontor, Jos Hooiveld, Alex Crognale, Kevin Alston, Mark Segbers, Christian Duke © (Giovanni Ramos Godoy 34’), Aodhan Quinn, Nicolás Czornomaz (Richard Chaplow 59’), Amirgy Pineda (Joseph Amico 45’), Thomas Enevoldsen
Substitutions not used: Aaron Cervantes, Walker Hume, Thomas Juel-Nielsen, Mats Bjurman
TOTAL SHOTS: 13; SHOTS ON GOAL: 6; FOULS: 11; OFFSIDE: 6; CORNER KICKS: 6; SAVES: 0.
Referee: Alfredo Sandoval-Victorio
- LA Galaxy II (5-9-4, 19 points) secured all three points in a 3-0 victory over Orange County SC (9-6-3, 30 points) Saturday evening, earning their first win away from home this season.
- Los Dos are now 1-7-2 away from home in 2018.
- LA Galaxy II are 4-2-2 at home this season.
- LA Galaxy II sit 12th in the USL Western Conference standings.
- Los Dos secured their second shutout win of the season in the match.
- Julian Büscher leads LA Galaxy II in assists this season (5).
- Efrain Alvarez and Ethan Zubak co-lead LA Galaxy II in goals this season (8).
- Jonathan Hernandez recorded his first professional goal for LA Galaxy II in the match.
- Brian Sylvestre got his first start and recorded his first clean sheet for LA Galaxy II.
- LA Galaxy II finished the 2017 season with a 4-8-4 home record and a 4-11-1 away record.
- Next, Los Dos are back home to take on Reno 1868 FC on Wednesday, July 11 at 7:30 p.m. PT at StubHub Center Track & Field Stadium. Tickets to the match are available here.