LA Galaxy II (5-10-4, 19 points) fell 4-3 to Portland Timbers 2 (10-9-2, 32 points) in a thriller on Saturday afternoon at StubHub Center Track & Field Stadium.
The Galaxy started the best way they could, with Miguel Aguilar megging a defender before making his way into the penalty area and sliding a pass to Ethan Zubak for the backheel goal. But the tone for the rest of the match was set just two minutes later, when Jeremy Ebobisse finished a diving header on a corner from Portland Timbers 2.
Seven minutes later, John Requejo earned a penalty for Los Dos. Justin Dhillon’s penalty kick was saved, but he converted on the rebound to give Galaxy the lead. It was long before Portland equalized though, with Eryk Williamson pulling level for Portland in the 23rd. The half ended 2-2.
Portland commanded the second half early, with Foster Langsdorf, their leading scorer, converting two chances in ten minutes of time. Galaxy II were delayed in their response, but were brought back to life when an effort from Requejo in the 73rd minute clanging off the post. Just five minutes later, Diedie Traore made an incisive run with the ball and found Frank Lopez, who scored to pull the Galaxy within one.
Los Dos ramped up the pressure, but they were unable to find an equalizer as the Galaxy dropped as second straight game at home.
Next, LA Galaxy II are back at home to face Swope Park Rangers at 7:30 p.m. PT on Wednesday, Aug. 1 at StubHub Center Track & Field Stadium. Tickets to the match are available here.
LA – Ethan Zubak 1’ (Assisted by Miguel Aguilar)
POR – Jeremy Ebobisse 3’ (Assisted by Marvin Loria)
LA – Justin Dhillon 11'
POR – Eryk Williamson 23’ (Assisted by Jeremy Ebobisse)
POR – Foster Langsdorf 54’ (Assisted by Andre Lewis)
POR – Foster Langsdorf 63’ (Assisted by Andre Lewis)
LA – Frank Lopez 78’ (Assisted by Diedie Traore)
LA – Andre Zanga 26’
LA – Geoffrey Acheampong 33’
POR – Marvin Loria 61’
POR – Foster Langsdorf 86’
POR – Kendall McIntosh 90’
LA Galaxy II: Justin Vom Steeg; Andre Zanga, Tomas Hilliard-Arce, Diedie Traore, John Requejo; Miguel Aguilar (Bradford Jamieson IV 69’), Efrain Alvarez, Geoffrey Acheampong (Julian Büscher 64’), Adrian Vera; Ethan Zubak, Justin Dhillon (Frank Lopez 69’)
Substitutions not used: Eric Lopez, Jean Engola, Jonathan Hernandez, Nate Shultz.
TOTAL SHOTS: 20; SHOTS ON GOAL: 9; FOULS: 12; OFFSIDE: 4; CORNER KICKS: 7; SAVES: 3.
Portland Timbers 2: Kendall McIntosh; Marco Farfan (Nathan Smith 45’), Roy Miller, Jimmy Mulligan, Renzo Zmabrano; Modou Jadama, Andre Lewis, Eryk Williamson (Foster Langsdorf HT), Jack Barmby, Jeremy Ebobisse; Marvin Loria
Substitutions not used: Alex Mangels, Carlos Anguiano, Lamar Batista, Augustine Williams, Arturo Diz Pe
TOTAL SHOTS: 11; SHOTS ON GOAL: 7; FOULS: 12; OFFSIDE: 2; CORNER KICKS: 2; SAVES: 6.
Referee: Ceciah Valero
- LA Galaxy II (5-10-4, 19 points) fell 4-3 to Portland Timbers 2 (10-9-2, 32 points) on Saturday afternoon at StubHub Center Track & Field Stadium.
- LA Galaxy II are 4-3-3 at home this season. They are 1-7-2 on the road.
- Ethan Zubak scored his ninth goal of the season.
- Justin Dhillon scored in his first start back from injury, his second of the season.
- Frank Lopez tallied his fourth goal of the year.
- Julian Büscher leads LA Galaxy II in assists this season (6).
- Ethan Zubak leads LA Galaxy II in goals this season (9).
- LA Galaxy II finished the 2017 season with a 4-8-4 home record and a 4-11-1 away record.
- Next, LA Galaxy II are back at home to face Swope Park Rangers at 7:30 p.m. PT on Wednesday, Aug. 1 at StubHub Center Track & Field Stadium. Tickets to match are available here.