LA Galaxy II (5-11-5, 20 points) drew 1-1 with Swope Park Rangers (9-6-6, 33 points) on Wednesday evening at StubHub Center. Frank Lopez scored his fifth goal of the season in the contest, providing the answer after LA Galaxy II trailed early in the second half.
Just four days after a home loss to Portland Timbers 2, Los Dos seemed ready to rebound against one of the USL’s Western Conference leading teams. The Galaxy pressured SPR from the first whistle and earned 13 shots to Kansas City’s two shots at the end of the 0-0 first half. LA Galaxy goalkeeper Justin Vom Steeg played a big part in keeping things level for Los Dos, coming out of his box to smother a breakaway by SPR’s Hadji Barry.
That wasn’t Barry’s only countering chance of the night. In the 51st minute, Colton Storm led the charge off a goal kick and finished with a square pass to an open Barry in front of net, who finished with ease.
Los Dos answered with a counter of their own. In the 60th minute, Ariel Lassiter ran onto a perfect through ball wide from Julian Büscher. With Lassiter and Frank Lopez on the break, Lopez held his run at the top of the box to receive a pass from Lassiter. Lopez opened his right foot for a one-time placement into the side netting and the equalizer.
Galaxy II had their first big chance to take the lead when they earned a penalty kick in the 75th. Geoffrey Acheampong was tripped from behind on a promising look at goal, but his ensuing penalty attempt was saved.
The home side was given a chance to break through when SPR’s Barry was ejected from the game on a second yellow for a dive in the box in the 86th. A few opportunities looked promising for Los Dos, but ultimately neither goal was threatened in the final fifteen minutes of the game. With a tie on the scoreboard, a point was awarded to each team.
Los Dos return to USL Regular Season play at 5:30 p.m. PT on Saturday, Aug. 4 at Toyota Stadium against San Antonio FC.
SPR – Hadji Barry 51’ (Assisted by Colton Storm)
LA – Frank Lopez 60’ (Assisted by Ariel Lassiter)
SPR – Graham Smith 54’ (caution)
LA – Adrian Vera 64’ (caution)
SPR – Hadji Barry 73’ (caution)
LA – Tomas Hilliard-Arce 77’ (caution)
SPR – Bryam Rebellon 81’ (caution)
SPR – Hadji Barry 86’ (second caution, ejection)
LA Galaxy II: Justin Vom Steeg; Andre Zanga, Tomas Hilliard-Arce, Diedie Traore, John Requejo; Miguel Aguilar (Justin Dhillon 89’), Julian Büscher ©, Geoffrey Acheampong (Ethan Zubak 81’), Adrian Vera; Frank Lopez, Ariel Lassiter (Bradford Jamieson IV 61’)
Substitutions not used: Eric Lopez, Jean Engola, Jonathan Hernandez, Nate Shultz.
TOTAL SHOTS: 22; SHOTS ON GOAL: 7; FOULS: 16; OFFSIDE: 2; CORNER KICKS: 10; SAVES: 2.
Swope Park Rangers: Adrian Zendejas; Colton Storm, Graham Smith ©, Dakota Barnathan (Matt Lewis HT), Park Maher (Justin Bilyeu 63’); Matheus Silva, Chase Minter (Bryam Rebellon 74’), Felipe Hernandez, Tyler Blackwood; Wilson Harris, Hadji Barry
Substitutions not used: Christian Herrera, Camilo Benitez, Will Little, Jahon Rad.
TOTAL SHOTS: 3; SHOTS ON GOAL: 3; FOULS: 14; OFFSIDE: 2; CORNER KICKS: 2; SAVES: 5.
Referee: Mark Allatin
- LA Galaxy II (5-11-5, 20 points) drew 1-1 with Swope Park Rangers (9-6-6, 33 points) on Wednesday evening at StubHub Center.
- LA Galaxy II are 4-3-4 at home this season. They are 1-7-2 on the road.
- Frank Lopez scored in his second consecutive match. Lopez has now recorded five goals on the season.
- Ariel Lassiter provided the assist on the goal , his third of the season.
- LA Galaxy II Open Tryout Winner Diedie Traore started his second straight match for Los Dos after making his debut on Saturday against Portland Timbers 2.
- Julian Büscher leads LA Galaxy II in assists this season (6).
- Ethan Zubak leads LA Galaxy II in goals this season (9).
- LA Galaxy II finished the 2017 season with a 4-8-4 home record and a 4-11-1 away record.
- Los Dos return to USL Regular Season play at 5:30 p.m. PT on Saturday, Aug. 4 at Toyota Stadium against San Antonio FC.