LA Galaxy II (5-12-5, 20 points) fell 2-1 to San Antonio FC (9-5-7, 34 points) on Saturday evening at Toyota Field in San Antonio, Tex.
Just three days after drawing at home to the Swope Park Rangers, Los Dos headed to Texas to battle a San Antonio side that had won their last three consecutive contests. Galaxy II showed early flashes of brilliance when Frank Lopez shot a looping ball with pace from distance. His shot hit the crossbar and forced San Antonio FC’s keeper to make a difficult save.
However, San Antonio were on the board first after Los Dos scrambled to clear a corner kick in the 20th minute. Darnell King capitalized on the disorder and scored a right-footed shot from outside the box. Although the Galaxy continued to pressure SAFC, they were unable to break through and entered halftime a goal down.
Quickly into second half, Los Dos found themselves down another goal following a moment of miscommunication between Galaxy’s keeper, Eric Lopez, and his defenders. Ever Guzmán shot from close range to find the top left corner of Lopez’ net in the 50th minute.
Three minutes later, Diedie Traore conceded a penalty after he fouled San Antonio’s leading scorer, Owayne Omar Gordon, in the box. But, Lopez read Gordon’s penalty beautifully and came up with a massive save for Los Dos.
LA Galaxy II continued to create chances throughout the second half, but were unable to convert. However, in stoppage time, Frank Lopez denied SAFC their clean sheet after receiving a perfectly placed pass from Jonathan Hernandez. With one touch, Frank Lopez found the back of the keeper’s net to put Los Dos within one. Unfortunately, this was not enough and LA Galaxy II walked away empty-handed.
Los Dos will return home to host Fresno FC at 7:30 p.m. PT on Thursday, Aug. 9 at StubHub Center Track & Field Stadium. Tickets to the match are available here.
SA – Darnell King 20’
SA – Ever Guzmán 50’ (Assisted by Ethan Bryant)
LA – Frank Lopez 90+4’ (Assisted by Jonathan Hernandez)
LA – Julian Büscher 63’
SA – Mikey Lopez 69’
SA – Cyprian Hedrick 73’
LA – Andre Ulrich Zanga 76’
LA – Jonathan Hernandez 90+2’
LA Galaxy II: Eric Lopez; John Requejo, Diedie Traore, Jean Engola, Andre Zanga; Miguel Aguilar (Jonathan Hernandez 77’), Julian Büscher ©, Geoffrey Acheampong, Bradford Jamieson IV (Nate Shultz 63’); Ethan Zubak (Adrián Vera 55’), Frank Lopez
Substitutions not used: Wade Hamilton, Justin Fiddes, Justin Dhillon
TOTAL SHOTS: 14; SHOTS ON GOAL: 4; FOULS: 13; OFFSIDE: 1; CORNER KICKS: 7; SAVES: 3.
San Antonio FC: Diego Restrepo; Greg Cochrane ©, Stephen McCarthy, Cyprian Hedrick, Darnell King; Charlie Ward, Mikey Lopez, Connor Presley (Sonny Guadarrama 70’), Ethan Bryant, Owayne Omar Gordon (Kyle Murphy 56’); Ever Guzmán
Substitutions not used: Matthew Cardone, Ryan Roushandel, Maxi Rodríguez, Alex Bruce, Mike Seth
TOTAL SHOTS: 10; SHOTS ON GOAL: 5; FOULS: 17; OFFSIDE: 2; CORNER KICKS: 4; SAVES: 3.
Referee: Greg Dopka
- LA Galaxy II (5-12-5, 20 points) fell 2-1 to San Antonio FC (9-6-6, 33 points) on Saturday evening in San Antonio, Tex.
- LA Galaxy II are 4-4-3 at home this season. They are 1-8-2 on the road.
- Frank Lopez scored in his third consecutive match. Lopez has now recorded six goals on the season.
- LA Galaxy II Open Tryout Winner Diedie Traore started his third straight match for Los Dos after making his debut on Saturday against Portland Timbers 2.
- Julian Büscher leads LA Galaxy II in assists this season (6).
- Ethan Zubak leads LA Galaxy II in goals this season (9).
- LA Galaxy II finished the 2017 season with a 4-8-4 home record and a 4-11-1 away record.
- Los Dos return to home to face Fresno FC at 7:30 p.m. PT on Thursday, Aug. 9 at StubHub Center Track & Field Stadium. Tickets to the match are available here.