LA Galaxy II (6-12-5, 23 points) defeated Fresno FC (7-9-9, 30 points) 2-1 on Thursday night at StubHub Center Track & Field Stadium. Frank Lopez extended his scoring streak to four games with his first professional brace for Los Dos.
A dull first half didn’t see much excitement from either side. LA Galaxy II struggled to establish a rhythm while Fresno FC was patient in an attempt to breakdown the opposition. Each team registered six shots and one goal on target. Los Dos defender Diedie Traore made his fourth straight start on the night, but picked up a knock early in the first half to make way for Justin Fiddes, LA Galaxy II’s newest signing.
Los Dos took the front foot in the second half, with Frank Lopez leading the charge. After a goal kick from Justin Vom Steeg, John Requejo lobbed a ball further forward for Lopez. The Cuban won the 1-on-1 and carried the ball into the box, unleashing a powerful right-footed shot from close to continue his excellent run of form.
Galaxy II was able to avoid an equalizer soon after, with Fresno FC’s Christian Chaney banging an attempted bicycle kick off the post.
Los Dos regained composure and put the game away in the 72nd minute. Substitute Bradford Jamieson IV forced a turnover just inside his own half, and carried the ball into a 3-on-2. Jamieson slid a perfect pass for Lopez, who was able to convert for his second of the night.
Fresno was able to make things nervy with a Chaney header on a free kick in extra-time, but Los Dos would ultimately prevail for their first win in four games.
Next, LA Galaxy II are on the road to face Sacramento Republic FC at Papa Murphy’s Park on Saturday, Aug. 18 at 8 p.m. PT.
LA – Frank Lopez 50’ (Assist by John Requejo)
LA – Frank Lopez 72’ (Assist by Bradford Jamieson IV)
FRS – Christian Chaney 90+2’ (Assist by Juan Pablo Caffa)
LA – Adrian Vera 53’ (caution)
FRS – Ramon Martin Del Campo (caution)
LA – Frank Lopez 86’ (caution)
LA – Ethan Zubak 90+1’ (caution)
FRS – Christian Chaney 90+6’ (caution)
LA Galaxy II: Justin Vom Steeg; Nate Shultz, Tomas Hilliard-Arce, Diedie Traore (Justin Fiddes 23’); Miguel Aguilar (Ariel Lassiter 73’), Andre Zanga, Adrian Vera, John Requejo; Geoffrey Acheampong (Bradford Jamieson IV 64’); Ethan Zubak ©, Frank Lopez
Substitutions not used: Eric Lopez, Jean Engola, Jonathan Hernandez, Justin Dhillon
TOTAL SHOTS: 10; SHOTS ON GOAL: 5; FOULS: 16; OFFSIDE: 4; CORNER KICKS: 5; SAVES: 4.
Fresno FC: Kyle Reynish; Zachary Ellis-Hayden, Cory Brown, Mickey Daly, Ramon Martin Del Campo; Rony Argueta (Christian Chaney 56’), Pedro Ribeiro, Jemal Johnson, Danny Barrera (Noah Verhoeven 84’), Juan Pablo Caffa, Franck Tayou (Renato Bustamante 74’)
Substitutions not used: Sam Strong, Agustin Cazarez, Milton Blanco, Sam Howard
TOTAL SHOTS: 25; SHOTS ON GOAL: 5; FOULS: 10; OFFSIDE: 3; CORNER KICKS: 8; SAVES: 2.
Referee: Daniel Radford
- LA Galaxy II (6-12-5, 23 points) defeated Fresno FC (7-9-9, 30 points) 2-1 on Thursday night at StubHub Center Track & Field Stadium.
- LA Galaxy II are 5-4-3 at home this season. Fresno FC are 2-7-5 away this year.
- Frank Lopez scored in his fourth consecutive match.
- Lopez recorded his first professional brace for Los Dos.
- Lopez has now recorded eight goals on the season.
- LA Galaxy II Open Tryout Winner Diedie Traore started his fourth straight match for Los Dos. He was forced to exit after picking up an injury in the 23rd minute.
- LA Galaxy II’s Justin Fiddes was signed to the club on Aug. 7. He made his Los Dos debut tonight.
- Ethan Zubak leads LA Galaxy II in goals this season (9).
- LA Galaxy II finished the 2017 season with a 4-8-4 home record and a 4-11-1 away record.
- Next, LA Galaxy II are on the road to face Sacramento Republic FC at Papa Murphy’s Park on Saturday, Aug. 18 at 8 p.m. PT.
- LA Galaxy II are 1-8-2 on the road.