LA Galaxy II (7-12-6, 27 points) drew 1-1 with Rio Grande Valley FC Toros (3-9-12, 21 points) on Wednesday evening at StubHub Center Track & Field Stadium. The draw comes on the back of consecutive wins for Galaxy II, extending their unbeaten streak to three.
A dud of a first half saw only one shot on target from each team. The action would break out in the second half of this one, with RGVFC getting to the board just six minutes after the second half whistle. Nate Shultz was in position to make a routine clearance, but the ball skipped high and deflected off his shin and neatly into the path of RGVFC’s Jesus Enriquez, who sent a low, left-footed blast into the side netting.
After a short period, Los Dos picked up the intensity looking for an equalizer. LA Galaxy II got the boost they needed in the 56thminute, when Efrain Alvarez was subbed onto the pitch. Just minutes into the game, he put a roped a 40-yard cross-field ball to the feet of Frank Lopez. Lopez’s shot was deflected for a Galaxy corner. At that point, it was one of the Galaxy’s most dangerous looks of the game.
In the 77th minute, Justin Dhillon found himself on the end of a pass up the middle from Alvarez. In a tidy move from Dhillon, he handled the ball, spun and put a left-footed strike in the back of the net.
Los Dos had a couple of chances in the closing moments, but salvaged the result on the defensive end with a great save from Justin Vom Steeg in extra-time. Galaxy II’s three game unbeaten streak is tied for their longest of the season.
Next, LA Galaxy II are on the road to face Real Monarchs SLC on Saturday, Aug. 25 at 7 p.m. PT. The Galaxy are currently 13th in the USL Western Conference standings, seven points off playoff inclusion.
RGV – Jesus Enriquez 51’
LA – Justin Dhillon 77’ (Assisted by Efrain Alvarez)
LA – Jean Engola 18’ (caution)
LA – Miguel Aguilar 28’ (caution)
RGV – Sheldon Sullivan 38’ (caution)
LA Galaxy II: Justin Vom Steeg; Justin Fiddes, Jean Engola, Nate Shultz, Miguel Aguilar (Jonathan Hernandez 81’), Andre Zanga, Geoffrey Acheampong (Efrain Alvarez 56’), Adrian Vera, John Requejo; Frank Lopez, Ethan Zubak (Justin Dhillon 72’) ©
Substitutions not used: Eric Lopez, Diedie Traore, Emmanuel Appiah, Jorge Hernandez.
TOTAL SHOTS: 15; SHOTS ON GOAL: 5; FOULS: 17; OFFSIDE: 2; CORNER KICKS: 6; SAVES: 3.
Rio Grande Valley FC Toros: Michael Nelson; Manuel Padilla, Sheldon Sullivan, Omar Ontiveros, Robert Castellanos; Todd Wharton, Jorginho James, Jesus Enriquez, Pablo Aguilar (Nicholas Perea 67’), Aldo Quintanilla (Carlos Small 84’), Andres Cabrera (Monday Etim 74’)
Substitutions not used: Nico Corti, Kai Green, Kyle Adams, Bryce Marion.
TOTAL SHOTS: 17; SHOTS ON GOAL: 4; FOULS: 13; OFFSIDE: 2; CORNER KICKS: 6; SAVES: 4.
Referee: Alejandro Mariscal
- LA Galaxy II (7-12-6, 27 points) drew 1-1 with Rio Grande Valley FC Toros (3-9-12, 21 points) on Wednesday evening at StubHub Center Track & Field Stadium
- This year at home, Los Dos have now gone 5-4-4.
- Rio Grande Valley FC are 0-7-4 away from home this year.
- The Galaxy’s three-game unbeaten streak is tied for the longest of the season.
- Ethan Zubak leads LA Galaxy II in goals this season (10).
- LA Galaxy II’s Justin Fiddes was signed to the club on Aug. 7 and has made three straight appearances for the team.
- LA Galaxy II sit 13th in USL Western Conference standings.
- LA Galaxy II finished the 2017 season with a 4-8-4 home record and a 4-11-1 away record.
- Next, LA Galaxy II are on the road to face Real Monarchs SLC on Saturday, Aug. 25 at 7 p.m. PT.