LA Galaxy II (9-13-6, 33 points) earned a 2-1 comeback win over Las Vegas Lights FC (7-15-6, 27 points) on Saturday night in Las Vegas. Ariel Lassiter dominated in a second straight match, scoring and assisting, while Efrain Alvarez converted the game-winning goal in a big night for Los Dos.
Las Vegas were first to the board, when the Lights’ Omar Salgado turned a breakaway into a solo effort, blasting the game’s first goal into the net and through the mitts of Los Dos' keeper Justin Vom Steeg.
But LA Galaxy II responded in a timely manner, putting the pressure on to earn a penalty kick in the 21st minute. Lassiter finished from the spot, establishing a two-game scoring streak. Six minutes later, Efrain Alvarez laid claim to the best goal of the night.
Lassiter drew attention at the top of the box, and Alvarez slipped in behind before Lassiter chipped a pass over the back line. Alvarez possessed, then chipped over the charging goalkeeper for the game’s winning goal.
Vegas had a chance to make things level, but Vom Steeg played the role of late-game hero, saving a Carlos Alvarez penalty in the 90th minute. Vom Steeg made a career professional high eight saves on the evening.
Next up, LA Galaxy II are back home to take on OKC Energy FC at 7:30 p.m. PT on Wednesday, Sept. 12 at StubHub Center Track & Field Stadium. Tickets to the match are available here.
LV – Omar Salgado 10’ (Assisted by Carlos Alvarez)
LA – Ariel Lassiter 21’ (penalty)
LA – Efrain Alvarez 27’ (Assisted by Ariel Lassiter)
LA – Miguel Aguilar 14’ (caution)
LA – Efrain Alvarez 18’ (caution)
LA – Diedie Traore 64’ (caution)
LV – Juan Carlos Garcia 81’ (caution)
LA – Sheanon Williams 82’ (caution)
LA Galaxy II: Justin Vom Steeg; Diedie Traore; Tomas Hilliard-Arce, Andre Zanga; Sheanon Williams, Adrian Vera, Miguel Aguilar, Geoffrey Acheampong; Efrain Alvarez; Ariel Lassiter, Justin Dhillon (Emmanuel Appiah 62’)
Substitutions not used: Hugo Arellano, Emmanuel Appiah, Wade Hamilton, Jean Engola, Eric Lopez, Nate Shultz, Jonathan Hernandez
TOTAL SHOTS: 13; SHOTS ON GOAL: 5; FOULS: 13; OFFSIDE: 2; CORNER KICKS: 0; SAVES: 8.
Las Vegas Lights FC: Ricardo Ferrino; Eric Avila, Joel Huiqui, Carlos Alvarez ©, Miguel Garduno, Juan Carlos Garcia; Rafael Garcia (Freddy Adu 76’), Daigo Kobayashi (Juan Herrera-Perla 61’), Raul Mendiola (Daniel Guzman HT); Samuel Ochoa, Omar Salgado
Substitutions not used: Joseph Perez, Daniel Miranda, Angel Alvarez, Alex Mendoza, Rodrigo Inigo
TOTAL SHOTS: 27; SHOTS ON GOAL: 9; FOULS: 8; OFFSIDE: 4; CORNER KICKS: 13; SAVES: 3.
TOTAL AMOUNT OF MONEY DROPPED ONTO FIELD AT HALF-TIME: $5,000
Referee: Lorant Varga
- LA Galaxy II (9-13-6, 33 points) earned a 2-1 comeback win over Las Vegas Lights FC (7-15-6, 27 points) on Saturday night in Las Vegas.
- Los Dos picked up their 3rd road win of 2018. They are 3-9-2 on the road.
- Ariel Lassiter scored in a second straight match. He’s now scored five goals in 12 appearances this season.
- Efrain Alvarez scored in the match, bringing his total to nine goals in 13 games.
- Ethan Zubak continues to lead LA Galaxy II in goals this season (10).
- LA Galaxy II finished the 2017 season with a 4-8-4 home record and a 4-11-1 away record.
- Next up, LA Galaxy II are back home to take on OKC Energy FC at 7:30 p.m. PT on Wednesday, Sept. 12 at StubHub Center Track & Field Stadium. Tickets to the match are available here.
- For more information, visit www.lagalaxy.com/2.