LA Galaxy II (10-15-6, 36 points) dominated Real Monarchs SLC (17-11-3, 54 points) by a score of 6-1 on Saturday night in Los Angeles. Efrain Alvarez recorded his second career professional hat trick, while Adrian Vera, Frank Lopez and Ethan Zubak also reserved their spot on the scoresheet.
Despite being eliminated from playoff competition, Los Dos had control of the game for 90 minutes against Real Monarchs SLC, one of the four teams in the USL Western Conference to have locked down a conference spot. LA Galaxy II had lost 4-0 to the Monarchs less than a month ago, but Los Dos got revenge Saturday.
Ethan Zubak started things off for Los Dos, with the help of LA Galaxy II tryout winner Diedie Traore’s first professional assist. 20 minutes later, Traore served it up again with a cross to Adrian Vera to help Los Dos extend their lead and head into the half at 2-0.
Efrain Alvarez claimed the second half, scoring twice in the first ten minutes of the second 45. He completed the hat trick in the 75th minute, chipping the Real Monarchs ‘keeper to complete the highlight reel.
Frank Lopez added to the scoreboard with a late solo effort, good for his 11th goal of the season. SLC’s lone goal came in the 57th minute of the match.
Next up, LA Galaxy II head north to play Seattle Sounders FC 2 (5-18-5, 20 points) at 7 p.m. PT on Wednesday, Oct. 3 at Cheney Stadium.
LA – Ethan Zubak 18’ (Assisted by Diedie Traore)
LA – Adrian Vera 38’ (Assisted by Diedie Traore)
LA – Efrain Alvarez 49’
LA – Efrain Alvarez 52’ (Assisted by Geoffrey Acheampong)
RM – Chandler Hoffman 57’ (Assisted by Ricky Lopez-Espin)
LA – Efrain Alvarez 75’
LA – Frank Lopez 86’ (Assisted by Tomas Hilliard-Arce)
RM – Konrad Plewa 56’
RM – Maikel Chang 68’
LA – Jean Engola 76’
LA Galaxy II: Eric Lopez, Diedie Traore, Tomas Hilliard-Are, Jean Engola, Nate Shultz; Miguel Aguilar (Hugo Arellano HT), Adam Saldana, Geoffrey Acheampong, Adrian Vera (Emmanuel Appiah 80’); Efrain Alvarez, Ethan Zubak © (Frank Lopez 69’)
Substitutions not used: Julian Araujo, Andre Zanga, Wade Hamilton, Jorge Hernandez.
TOTAL SHOTS: 12; SHOTS ON GOAL: 8; FOULS: 12; OFFSIDE: 4; CORNER KICKS: 0; SAVES: 4.
Reno 1868 FC: Jake Leeker, James Moberg, Andrew Brody, Konrad Plewa, Kalen Ryden, Charlie Adams (Sebastian Velasquez HT), Justin Portillo (Jose Hernandez 82’), Mastanabal Kacher (Ricky Lopez-Espin HT), Jack Blake, Maikel Chang, Chandler Hoffman ©
Substitutions not used: Jamal Charles, Juan Ignacio Mare, Connor Sparrow, Adam Henley.
TOTAL SHOTS: 14; SHOTS ON GOAL: 5; FOULS: 12; OFFSIDE: 1; CORNER KICKS: 5; SAVES: 2.
Referee: Victor Rivas
- LA Galaxy II (10-15-6, 36 points) dominated Real Monarchs SLC (17-11-3, 54 points) by a score of 6-1 on Saturday night in Los Angeles.
- LA Galaxy II are 7-5-4 at home this season and 3-10-2 on the road.
- Real Monarchs SLC are 5-10-1 away from home this year.
- Efrain Alvarez recorded his second career professional hat trick.
- Alvarez has now recorded 12 goals in 16 appearances this season. He leads the team in goals.
- Frank Lopez has scored 11 goals in 24 appearances for LA Galaxy II.
- Ethan Zubak also scored his 11th goal of the season, in his 28th appearance.
- Adrian Vera scored his first goal of the 2018 season.
- LA Galaxy II finished the 2017 season with a 4-8-4 home record and a 4-11-1 away record.
- Next up, LA Galaxy II head north to play Seattle Sounders FC 2 (5-18-5, 20 points) at 7 p.m. PT on Wednesday, Oct. 3 at Cheney Stadium.
- For more information, visit www.lagalaxy.com/2.