Reto Ziegler scored from the penalty spot and Bryan Acosta opened his MLS account with a golazo to help lift FC Dallas to a 2-0 win over the LA Galaxy at Toyota Stadium Saturday afternoon.
Ziegler broke the scoreless tie in the 53rd minute, converting a penalty kick earned when LA Galaxy defender Diego Polenta connected with Matt Hedges on a high kick in the box.
Acosta doubled FC Dallas’ lead in the 61st minute, latching onto a ball cut back to just outside the 18-yard box by Paxton Pomykal and hammering a first-time shot past David Bingham.
The Galaxy, who played without an injured Zlatan Ibrahimovic, were again punished for stunning defensive mistakes and were fortunate not to concede at least two more goals in the first half.
- 53’ — DAL — Reto Ziegler (PK) | WATCH
- 61’ — DAL — Bryan Acosta | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: Luchi Gonzalez earned his first win as FC Dallas head coach and it was a big one against a longtime Western Conference foe. He enjoyed the second-half goals, especially the screamer by Acosta, but surely there’s concern over an injury scare to Reggie Cannon that forced off the fullback at halftime. Meanwhile, the Galaxy continue to be plagued by defensive mistakes, which Dallas turned into two goals.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Acosta’s first MLS goal was a thing of beauty, crushed with the outside of his right foot first time after a Pomykal cut back. We can’t watch this enough.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Filling in for an injured Jacori Hayes, Pomykal didn’t just set up Acosta’s Acosta’s stunning strike, but he also won all 10 of his duels on the day. Carlos Gruezo deserves some shouts too.
- LA: Saturday, March 16 vs. Minnesota United FC (10:30 pm ET | MLS LIVE on ESPN+ in US, DAZN in Canada)