LA Galaxy II (1-2-0, 3 points) fell 5-0 on the road against Real Monarchs SLC (1-0-2, 5 points).
LA Galaxy II were slow to start, with a poorly defended corner that led to Real Monarchs’ goal in the 25th minute of the first half. Real Monarchs continued to press offensively throughout the half, but Los Dos were able to keep the attack at bay, entering halftime only a goal down.
Entering second half, LA Galaxy II looked reinvigorated, with two close chances happening within the first five minutes of the half. In the 46th minute, Nate Shultz sent a looping ball into the box, which was met by Diedie Traore. Traore ripped off a shot, but Real Monarchs’ goalkeeper, David Ochoa, was able to make the save. Two minutes later, Emil Cuello stepped past two defenders to unleash a shot on goal, but, again, the shot was saved by Ochoa.
In the 60th minute, Real Monarchs found their second goal on a breakaway after a LA Galaxy II corner. Los Dos were still in the match, continuing to press offensively. However, 10 minutes later, Josh Heard was sent through on another breakaway, going one on one with LA Galaxy II’s goalkeeper Abraham Romero. Defender Diedie Traore took Heard down just outside the box, resulting in a straight red card. Maikel Chang stepped up to the free kick, beating Romero on the far post.
From there, a defeated Los Dos went on to concede two more goals in the final 20 minutes of play.
Next up, LA Galaxy II return home to Dignity Health Sports Park Track & Field Stadium to host Portland Timbers 2 on Saturday, March 30, at 7 p.m. PT.
SLC – Ricardo Avila 25’
SLC – Maikel Chang (assisted by Josh Heard) 60’
SLC – Maikel Chang 72’
SLC – Lionel Abate Etoundi (assisted by Maikel Chang) 79’
SLC – Steve Jasso 86’
LA – Emil Cuello 42’ (caution)
SLC – Douglas Martinez 48’ (caution)
SLC – Jack Blake 56’ (caution)
SLC – David Ochoa 63’ (caution)
LA – Diedie Traore 70’ (red card)
LA Galaxy II: Abraham Romero; Nate Shultz ©, Tomas Hilliard-Arce, Dave Romney, Diedie Traore; Carlos Harvey (Adrian Vera 68’), Jose Hernandez (Justin Fiddes 75’), Efrain Alvarez, Kai Koreniuk, Emil Cuello (Augustine Williams 70’); Ethan Zubak
Substitutions not used: Eric Lopez, Omar Ontiveros, Michael Gallagher, Nick DePuy
TOTAL SHOTS: 10; SHOTS ON GOAL: 3; FOULS: 16; OFFSIDE: 4; CORNER KICKS: 2; SAVES: 0.
Real Monarchs SLC: David Ochoa; Andrew Brody, James Moberg, Joseph Okumu, Noah Powder; Jack Blake, Ricardo Avila (Masta Kacher 45’), Maikel Chang, Josh Heard (Steve Jasso 82’), Jordan Pena; Douglas Martinez (Lionel Abate Etoundi 77’)
Substitutions not used: Evan Finney, Konrad Plewa, Sam Brown, Damian German
TOTAL SHOTS: 16; SHOTS ON GOAL: 5; FOULS: 10; OFFSIDE: 2; CORNER KICKS: 3; SAVES: 3.
Referee: Elijio Arreguin
- LA Galaxy II (1-2-0, 3 points) fell 5-0 on the road to Real Monarchs SLC (1-0-2, 5 points) in Herriman, Utah.
- Geoffrey Acheampong scored the Galaxy’s first goal of 2019 against Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC and was assisted by Ernesto Walker.
- Los Dos signed eight new players this offseason: Abraham Romero, Kai Koreniuk, Nick DePuy, Don Tchilao, Augustine Williams, Jose Hernandez, Michael Gallagher, Omar Ontiveros.
- LA Galaxy II acquired two Panamanian International players this offseason: Ernesto Walker and Carlos Harvey.
- Kai Koreniuk, Nick DePuy, Don Tchilao, Augustine Williams, Jose Hernandez, Omar Ontiveros and Ernesto Walker all made their debut with LA Galaxy II on March 9 against Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC.
- Carlos Harvey made his debut with LA Galaxy II on March 16 against Tacoma Defiance.
- Abraham Romero made his debut with LA Galaxy II on March 23 against Real Monarchs SLC.
- Michael Gallagher has yet to make their debut with the club.
- LA Galaxy II finished the 2018 USL Championship season with a 7-6-4 home record and a 3-11-3 away record.
- Frank Lopez led the team in goals in 2018 (13).
- Diedie Traore led LA Galaxy II in assists in 2018 (5).
- Next up, LA Galaxy II continue their road trip as they face Real Monarchs SLC at 12 p.m. PT on Saturday, March 23 at Zions Bank Stadium.
- For more information, visit www.lagalaxy.com/2.