LA Galaxy II (2-2-0, 6 points) secured their first three points at home in 2019 with a 3-2 win against Portland Timbers 2 (2-1-1, 7 points).
LA Galaxy II had an early scoring opportunity when Portland Timbers 2 defender Marco Farfan fouled Emil Cuello within the box. Los Dos was awarded a penalty kick. Ethan Zubak stepped up to the spot, but his shot went off the post. A few minutes later, Portland Timbers 2 were on the board first after Giovanni Calixtro curled a shot beautifully into the far post beating out Galaxy’s goalkeeper Eric Lopez.
Los Dos continued to press offensively, creating chance after chance, finally finding an equalizer in the 34th minute. Emil Cuello sent a low ball across the box, but was unable to find an attacking player. Kai Koreniuk was waiting to pounce on the right side and crossed the ball back in, meeting the head of Geoffrey Acheampong who found the back of the net. Four minutes later, Tomas Hilliard-Arce put Los Dos in the lead with his own header after a corner kick taken by Emil Cuello.
Both sides continued to share possession and exchanged scoring opportunities throughout the second half. The Timbers capitalized on one of those chances in the 65th minute, giving them the lead. But, Los Dos got the final word. LA Galaxy II were awarded a free kick after Eryk Williamson committed a foul in the 90th minute. Emil Cuello again crossed the ball into the center of the box. Hilliard-Arce expertly headed the ball into the top left corner of the goal, securing all three points for LA Galaxy II.
Next up, LA Galaxy II host Tulsa Roughnecks FC at Dignity Health Sports Park Track & Field Stadium on Saturday, April 6, at 7 p.m. PT. Tickets to the match are available here.
POR – Giovanni Calixtro (assisted by Eryk Williamson) 12’
LA – Geoffrey Acheampong (assisted by Kai Koreniuk) 34’
LA – Tomas Hilliard-Arce (assisted by Emil Cuello) 38’
POR – Giovanni Calixtro (assisted by Eryk Williamson) 65’
LA – Tomas Hilliard-Arce (assisted by Emil Cuello) 90’
POR – Eyrk Williamson 78’
POR – Todd Wharton 83’
LA Galaxy II: Eric Lopez; Justin Fiddes, Michael Gallagher, Tomas Hilliard-Arce, Nate Shultz; Carlos Harvey, Geoffrey Acheampong ©, Adrian Vera (Don Tchilao 74’), Kai Koreniuk, Emil Cuello (Nick DePuy 90’+4’); Ethan Zubak (Frank Lopez 78’)
Substitutions not used: Abraham Romero, Omar Ontiveros, Jose Hernandez, Augustine Williams,
TOTAL SHOTS: 20; SHOTS ON GOAL: 6; FOULS: 16; OFFSIDE: 1; CORNER KICKS: 6; SAVES: 2.
Portland Timbers 2: Jake Leeker; Modou Jadama, Marco Farfan (Romulo Ojeda 90’+3’), Roy Miller; Todd Wharton, Eryk Williamson, Brayan Hurtado, Renzo Zambrano ©, Ryan Sierakowski (Zach Kobayashi 68’), Giovanni Calixtro
Substitutions not used: Charles Lyon, Nathan Smith, Max Ornstil, Jose Carlos Anguiano
TOTAL SHOTS: 10; SHOTS ON GOAL: 4; FOULS: 21; OFFSIDE: 0; CORNER KICKS: 8; SAVES: 3.
Referee: Joseph Salinas
- LA Galaxy II (2-2-0, 6 points) secured their first three points at home of 2019 with a 3-2 win against Portland Timbers 2 (2-1-1, 7 points).
- Tomas Hilliard-Arce recorded a brace during the match.
- Geoffrey Acheampong recorded his second goal of the season for LA Galaxy II against Portland Timber 2.
- Michael Gallagher made his debut with LA Galaxy II on March 30 against Portland Timbers 2.
- Geoffrey Acheampong scored the Galaxy’s first goal of 2019 against Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC and was assisted by Ernesto Walker.
- Los Dos signed eight new players this offseason: Abraham Romero, Kai Koreniuk, Nick DePuy, Don Tchilao, Augustine Williams, Jose Hernandez, Michael Gallagher, Omar Ontiveros.
- LA Galaxy II acquired two Panamanian International players this offseason: Ernesto Walker and Carlos Harvey.
- Kai Koreniuk, Nick DePuy, Don Tchilao, Augustine Williams, Jose Hernandez, Omar Ontiveros and Ernesto Walker all made their debut with LA Galaxy II on March 9 against Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC.
- Carlos Harvey made his debut with LA Galaxy II on March 16 against Tacoma Defiance.
- Abraham Romero made his debut with LA Galaxy II on March 23 against Real Monarchs SLC.
- LA Galaxy II finished the 2018 USL Championship season with a 7-6-4 home record and a 3-11-3 away record.
- Frank Lopez led the team in goals in 2018 (13).
- Diedie Traore led LA Galaxy II in assists in 2018 (5).
- Next up, LA Galaxy II host Tulsa Roughnecks FC at Dignity Health Sports Park Track & Field Stadium on Saturday, April 6 at 7 p.m. PT. Tickets to the match are available here.