Two Zlatan Ibrahimovic penalties were all the LA Galaxy needed against the Portland Timbers.
Ibrahimovic's pair of spot kicks earned the Galaxy a 2-1 win over the Timbers, as LA's No. 9 won the foul for each penalty. Ibrahimovic's goals which were converted either side a Jeremy Ebobisse tally.
A year to the day of Ibrahimovic's emphatic MLS debut, he nearly scored a goal of the season candidate with the game scoreless, only to be denied by the post. It wouldn't be long before he won his first penalty off a foul by Claude Dielna.
The Timbers responded with a beautifully worked team goal, with quick combination resulting with Ebobisse tapping in from six yards out before halftime. In the second half, though, Ibrahimovic won his second penalty, dribbling a handful of Timbers defenders before being taken down by Jeff Attinella.
Ibrahimovic took a different tactic to the second penalty, a delicate Panenka which would eventually be the game-winner. The Timbers remain winless on the season.
- 33' – LA – Zlatan Ibrahimovic (PK) | WATCH
- 44' – POR – Jeremy Ebobisse | WATCH
- 66' – LA – Zlatan Ibrahimovic (PK) | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: Two teams that expect to make the playoffs, two teams that are trending in different directions. The Galaxy had arguably their strongest lineup available for the first time this season while the Timbers are still attempting to right the ship in 2019.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: The penalty call was debated, but Ibrahimovic made no mistake from 12-yards out.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: In his second match of 2019, Ibrahimovic has now tallied three goals. He won both penalties and has a gravitational pull on opposing defenders.