LA Galaxy II (3-2-0, 9points) secured a 4-2 victory at Dignity Health Sports Park Track & Field Stadium against Tulsa Roughnecks FC (3-2-1, 10 points) on Saturday.
LA Galaxy II had an early scoring opportunity when Tulsa Roughnecks FC defender Akeil Barrett fouled Ethan Zubak within the box. Los Dos was awarded a penalty kick. Zubak stepped up to the spot and converted with a precise right-footed shot to the center of the goal, giving Los Dos an early lead.
In the 30thminute, the Roughnecks had their own opportunity to convert on a penalty after Los Dos defender Justin Fiddes fouled Fabian Bastidas. However, LA Galaxy II caught a break as Cristhian Altamirano skied the ball above Justin Vom Steeg’s net. The home team headed into halftime ahead by one goal.
Obviously inspired by head coach Mike Muñoz’s halftime speech, LA Galaxy II came out with a bang. Less than a minute into the second half, the Galaxy found themselves up 3-0. Nate Shultz started the chance with a perfectly weighted ball to Zubak who was running on goal. Instead of taking a shot for himself, Zubak laid it off to Kai Koreniuk who belted in a great hit to score. Less than two minutes later, Zubak had another shot on goal that was saved by Tulsa’s goalkeeper Mason Stajduhar. The rebound landed perfectly for Koreniuk who doubled up for his second goal of the night.
The Roughnecks were able to get on the board in the 59th minute because of a set piece. Tulsa’s leading goal-scorer Luca Lobo broke through LA Galaxy II’s defense with a decisive header from very close range. But Los Dos responded quickly after the goal following a fast break spurred on by Koreniuk. Zubak recorded a brace after taking a right footed shot outside the box.
Lobo was be able to get one more for his side in the 70th minute, but it would not be enough. With the victory, LA Galaxy II secured back-to-back wins at home.
Next up, LA Galaxy II hit the road to face San Antonio FC at Toyota Field on Saturday, April 13 at 5:30 p.m. PT.
LA – Ethan Zubak (PK) 13’
LA – Kai Koreniuk (Assisted by Ethan Zubak) 46’
LA – Kai Koreniuk 49’
TUL – Luca Lobo (Assisted by Rodrigo da Costa) 59’
LA – Ethan Zubak (Assisted by Kai Koreniuk) 61’
TUL – Luca Lobo (Assisted by Rodrigo da Costa) 70’
LA – Michael Gallagher 22’
TUL – Fabian Bastidas 25’
LA – Adrian Vera 34’
TUL – Brayan Reyes 82’
LA Galaxy II: Justin Vom Steeg; Justin Fiddes, Michael Gallagher ©, Tomas Hilliard-Arce, Nate Shultz; Carlos Harvey, Ernesto Walker, Adrian Vera (Omar Ontiveros 90’+2’), Don Tchilao (Jose Hernandez 73’), Kai Koreniuk; Ethan Zubak (Augustine Williams 77’)
Substitutions not used: Abraham Romero, Eric Lopez, Nick DePuy
TOTAL SHOTS: 15; SHOTS ON GOAL: 7; FOULS: 18; OFFSIDE: 0; CORNER KICKS: 5; SAVES: 0.
Tulsa Roughnecks FC: Mason Stajduhar; Cyprian Hedrick, Mallan Roberts, Luca Lobo, Anthony Legendre (Brayan Reyes 68’), Fabian Bastidas (Emmanuel Gonzalez 45’), Akeil Barrett (AJ Ajeakwa 45’), Cristhian Altamirano, Jeff Addai, Janu Silva, Rodrigo Da Costa
Substitution not used: Andrew MacRae, Renan Ferreira, Iddrisu Abdallah
TOTAL SHOTS: 12; SHOTS ON GOAL: 2; FOULS: 16; OFFSIDE: 2; CORNER KICKS: 3; SAVES: 2.
Referee: Mark Allatin
- LA Galaxy II (3-2-0,9points) secured a 4-2 victory at Dignity Health Sports Park Track & Field Stadium against Tulsa Roughnecks FC (3-2-1, 10 points).
- With the victory, Los Dos have won back-to-back at home.
- Kai Koreniuk scored his first goal for LA Galaxy II in the match.
- Kai Koreniuk and Ethan Zubak both recorded braces during the match.
- Geoffrey Acheampong scored the Galaxy’s first goal of 2019 against Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC, assisted by Ernesto Walker.
- Augustine Williams, Geoffrey Acheampong, Tomas Hilliard-Arce, Ethan Zubak and Kai Koreniuk co-lead the team in goals (2).
- Emil Cuello and Ernesto Walker co-lead the team in assists (2).
- LA Galaxy II finished the 2018 USL Championship season with a 7-6-4 home record and a 3-11-3 away record.
- Next up, LA Galaxy II hit the road to face San Antonio FC at Toyota Field on Saturday, April 13 at 5:30 p.m. PT.