LA Galaxy II (3-3-2, 11 points) earned their second shutout of the season with a 0-0 draw at home against Las Vegas Lights FC (2-4-2, 8 points) on Monday.
LA Galaxy II recorded a shutout first half, with much of the credit to goalkeeper Justin Vom Steeg after coming up with an important save in the 27th minute. Las Vegas Lights FC were awarded a free kick outside of the box, which was knocked toward the far post and met by the head of a Lights player. Vom Steeg was able to snatch the powerful header from the air and bring it down to safety. The sides entered halftime scoreless although sharing many scoring opportunities throughout the first 45 minutes.
To start the second half, LA Galaxy II Head Coach Mike Muñoz brought on forward Frank Lopez to add more attacking options for the home team. Lopez’s first real chance came in the 75th minute when defender Dave Romney spotted his run, sending a long ball just outside the box. Lopez fought through two Las Vegas defenders to take a shot, but it was deflected wide.
As the game went on, play from both teams increased in aggressiveness and physicality. This intensity peaked in the 79th minute when LA Galaxy II midfielder Don Tchilao was shown a second yellow for a bad foul, resulting in a red card. Los Dos played the remaining 10 minutes and change down a man. However, the Galaxy continued to keep their solid defensive shell and held off the Lights’ attack for the remainder of the match.
LA Galaxy II are back at home to host USL Championship expansion side Austin Bold FC in their first-ever meeting at Dignity Health Sports Park Track & Field Stadium on Saturday, May 4 at 7:00 p.m. PT. Tickets to the match are available here.
LA – Emil Cuello (caution) 26’
LA – Dave Romney 39’ (caution) 39’
LV – Lucas Scaglia (caution) 45’
LV – Gabe Robinson (caution) 52’
LA – Don Tchilao (second yellow; ejection) 79’
LA Galaxy II: Justin Vom Steeg; Justin Fiddes, Dave Romney, Tomas Hilliard-Arce ©, Nate Shultz; Ernesto Walker (Frank Lopez 45’), Don Tchilao, Emil Cuello, Brian Iloski, Kai Koreniuk (Jose Hernandez 89’); Ethan Zubak (Augustine Williams 71’)
Substitutions not used: Eric Lopez, Nick DePuy, Michael Gallagher, Adrian Vera
TOTAL SHOTS: 5; SHOTS ON GOAL: 0; FOULS: 16; OFFSIDE: 4; CORNER KICKS: 4; SAVES: 4.
Las Vegas Lights FC: Thomas Olsen; Kevin Garcia-Lopez (Christian Hernandez 37’), Gabe Robinson, Javan Torre, Christian Torres (Tabort Etaka Preston 55’); Lucas Scaglia (Panzani Sousa 45’), Mobi Fehr, Junior Sandoval, Pablo Cruz; Sammy Ochoa, Irvin Parra ©
Substitution not used: Angel Alvarez, Eric Gonzalez, Jonathan Levin, Victor Rojas
TOTAL SHOTS: 17; SHOTS ON GOAL: 4; FOULS: 21; OFFSIDE: 3; CORNER KICKS: 5; SAVES: 0.
Referee: Victor Rivas
Assistant Referee: Diego Blas
Assistant Referee: Salma Perez
Fourth Official: Daniel Radford
- LA Galaxy II (3-3-2, 11 points) earned a 0-0 draw at home against Las Vegas Lights FC (2-4-2, 8 points) on Monday night.
- This is LA Galaxy II’s second shutout of the season.
- LA Galaxy II are 2-1-2 at home this season.
- Los Dos remain undefeated in their last four matches at home.
- Kai Koreniuk leads the team in goals this year (4).
- Brian Iloski, Emil Cuello, Ernesto Walker and Kai Koreniuk co-lead the team in assists this year (2).
- LA Galaxy II finished the 2018 USL Championship season with a 7-6-4 home record and a 3-11-3 away record.
- Next up, LA Galaxy II are back at home to host USL Championship expansion side Austin Bold FC in their first-ever meeting at Dignity Health Sports Park Track & Field Stadium on Saturday, May 4 at 7:00 p.m. PT. Tickets to the match are available here.