Frank Lopez’s stoppage-time strike led LA Galaxy II (4-4-4, 16 points) to a 2-2 draw with Southern California rival Orange County SC (3-3-6, 15 points) on Saturday evening.
Los Dos were out of the gate quickly after Brian Iloski found himself in the right place, at the right time. Orange County’s goalkeeper Patrick McLain was drawn out of position after a strong strike from Kai Koreniuk. Iloski pounced on McLain’s rebound and swiftly struck the ball into the bottom left corner to give the Galaxy an early lead in the 2nd minute.
With a few critical saves from LA Galaxy II’s goalkeeper Justin Vom Steeg throughout the first 45 minutes, the home team entered halftime up one goal.
However, OCSC made their presence known in the 50th minute when Aodhan Quinn stunned the Galaxy with a free kick that he deftly placed into the bottom left corner of Vom Steeg’s net.
The goal did not phase Los Dos as they continued to rattle off shots, including a close opportunity by Nate Shultz in the 57thminute created from a corner kick. Iloski played the corner kick short, laying it off to Shultz who was given plenty of space by OCSC defenders. Shultz shot off a powerful strike, but it hit McLain’s bar after being deflected by a defender.
The battle for the tie-breaking goal raged on until the 77th minute. The visiting side was able to break through the Galaxy’s defense with a superb ball into the box from Harry Forrester who found the head of Vinicius. However, Los Dos got the last word with their second consecutive stoppage-time equalizer. In the second minute of added time, LA Galaxy II earned a corner kick, which was expertly taken by Juninho. His ball found Frank Lopez who headed it on goal, securing his first of the season.
Next up, LA Galaxy II continue their stay at home in a midweek contest against Tacoma Defiance at Dignity Health Sports Park Track & Field Stadium on Wednesday, May 29 at 7:30 p.m. PT. Tickets to the match are available here.
LA – Brian Iloski 2’
OC – Aodhan Quinn 50’
OC – Vinicius (Assisted by Harry Forrester) 77’
LA – Frank Lopez (Assisted by Juninho) 90’+2’
OC – Joe Amico (caution) 10’
OC – Darwin Jones (caution) 51’
OC – Aodhan Quinn (caution) 85’
OC – Vinicius (caution) 88’
LA Galaxy II: Justin Vom Steeg; John Requejo (Jose Hernandez 81’), Michael Gallagher, Tomas Hilliard-Arce ©, Nate Shultz; Don Tchilao, Juninho, Adrian Vera, Kai Koreniuk; Brian Iloski (Frank Lopez 77’), Augustine Williams
Substitutions not used: Eric Lopez, Nick DePuy, Justin Fiddes, Jorge Hernandez, Omar Ontiveros
TOTAL SHOTS: 13; SHOTS ON GOAL: 7; FOULS: 18; OFFSIDE: 0; CORNER KICKS: 8; SAVES: 4.
Orange County SC: Patrick McLain; Kontor Owusu-Ansah, Joe Amico, Walker Hume, Leonardo; Aodhan Quinn ©, Jerry Van Wolfgang (Danny Crisostomo 76’), Liam Trotter (Giovanni Ramos-Godoy 90’+3’), Harry Forrester; Michael Seaton (Vinicius 72’), Darwin Jones
Substitution not used: Aaron Cervantes, Hugo Arellano, Danny Crisostomo, Charlie Adams, Koji Hashimoto
TOTAL SHOTS: 13; SHOTS ON GOAL: 6; FOULS: 16; OFFSIDE: 2; CORNER KICKS: 4; SAVES: 5.
Referee: Elton Garcia
Assistant Referees: Brandon Stevis and Noah Kenyawani
Fourth Official: Omeed Azadpour
- Frank Lopez’s stoppage-time strike led LA Galaxy II (4-4-4, 16 points) to a 2-2 draw with Southern California rival Orange County SC (3-3-6, 15 points) on Saturday evening.
- Brian Iloski recorded his first goal with LA Galaxy II in the match.
- Frank Lopez recorded his first goal of the 2019 season in the match.
- LA Galaxy II are 3-2-3 at home this season.
- Kai Koreniuk leads the team in goals this year (4).
- Brian Iloski leads the team in assists this year (3).
- LA Galaxy II finished the 2018 USL Championship season with a 7-6-4 home record and a 3-11-3 away record.
- Next up, LA Galaxy II continue their home stand in a midweek contest against Tacoma Defiance at Dignity Health Sports Park Track & Field Stadium on Wednesday, May 29 at 7:30 p.m. PT. Tickets to the match are available here.