LA Galaxy II (4-4-4, 16 points) continue their homestand as they face off against Tacoma Defiance (2-9-2, 8 points) in a midweek contest at Dignity Health Sports Park Track & Field Stadium on Wednesday, May 29 at 7:30 p.m. PT. The match will be broadcast live on ESPN+. Tickets to the match are available here.
All-time, LA Galaxy II are 3-3-2 against Tacoma Defiance, going 2-1-0 at home. Earlier this season, the Galaxy traveled to Cheney Stadium, where they picked up their first win of 2019. With goals from Ernesto Walker and Augustine Williams, Los Dos walked with a 3-0 victory. In their last meeting at Dignity Health Sports Park, the sides exchanged plenty of goals. Los Dos secured a 5-3 win thanks to a brace from Efrain Alvarez and goals from Geoffrey Acheampong, Frank Lopez and Alex Mendez.
For the second consecutive weekend, LA Galaxy II have had to dig deep to claim a result from the throws of defeat. In back-to-back matches, Los Dos recorded a game-tying goal in the 92nd minute, most recently against Southern California rival Orange County SC. With the draw, Los Dos remain above the playoff line, but have managed just one win in their last seven games. While the Galaxy have done a better job to keep goals out, they are still struggling to regain their impressive offensive swagger from 2018.
This week’s opponents travel to Dignity Health Sports Park with some momentum after taken back-to-back draws against potential playoff contenders, Reno 1868 FC and Fresno FC. However, Tacoma Defiance are still struggling to get in a good rhythm. With 36 goals against, the Defiance have conceded the most goals in the USL Championship. When looking at their offense, Tacoma is ranked 33rd in goals scored throughout the league.
Wednesday’s matchup has the potential to be a crucial turning point for either teams’ season as both are hungry for points.
LA Galaxy II 2 | Orange County SC 2: Frank Lopez’s stoppage-time strike helped Los Dos secure a 2-2 draw at home in the year’s first edition of the SoCal rivalry matchup. Brian Iloski opened the scoring, recording his first goal for LA Galaxy II.
Tacoma Defiance 3 | Fresno FC 3: Tacoma Defiance recorded a season-high three goals against Fresno FC at Cheney Stadium. In the match, former LA Galaxy II player Justin Dhillon scored the game-tying goal in the 90thminute to secure a much-needed point for Tacoma at home.
LA Galaxy II: 10-17-7, 37 points
Tacoma Defiance: 6-21-7, 25 points
Tacoma Defiance 0, LA Galaxy II 3 | March 16, 2019 at Cheney Stadium
LA Galaxy II 5, Tacoma Defiance 3 | July 1, 2018 at Dignity Health Sports Park Track & Field Stadium
Tacoma Defiance 2, LA Galaxy II 2 | October 3, 2018 at Cheney Stadium
- Frank Lopez’s stoppage-time strike led LA Galaxy II (4-4-4, 16 points) to a 2-2 draw with Southern California rival Orange County SC (3-3-6, 15 points) on Saturday evening.
- LA Galaxy II are 3-2-3 at home and 1-2-1 on the road in 2019.
- Tacoma Defiance are 0-6-0 away from home this year and are in search of their first win on the road.
- LA Galaxy II sit in 10thin the USL Championship Western Conference standings, just above the playoff line.
- Tacoma Defiance sit bottom of the USL Championship Western Conference standings in 18thplace.
- LA Galaxy II midfielders Carlos Harvey and Ernesto Walker are away on International duty as they represent Panama in the FIFA U-20 World Cup Poland 2019.
- Kai Koreniuk leads the team in goals this year (4).
- Brian Iloski leads the team in assists this year (3).
- LA Galaxy II finished the 2018 USL Championship season with a 7-6-4 home record and a 3-11-3 away record.
- Next up, LA Galaxy II hit the road to face OKC Energy FC for the first time this season on Saturday, June 1 at Taft Stadium.