LA Galaxy II (4-6-7, 19 points) secured a 1-1 draw against New Mexico United (6-3-8, 26 points) on Saturday night at Dignity Health Sports Park Track & Field Stadium.
LA Galaxy II were on the board first thanks to a well-placed corner kick taken by left-footed Brian Iloski. Iloski’s delivery bounced around in the box, causing some confusion for New Mexico United’s defenders. Nick DePuy pounced on the ball and scored from a brilliant volley. With the goal, Los Dos held the lead momentarily.
However, New Mexico United quickly responded to going down, scoring an equalizer minutes later. In the 40th minute, Kevaughn Frater scored his 11th goal of the season with a powerful strike to the bottom left corner of Justin Vom Steeg’s net. The sides entered halftime with one goal apiece.
Both sides shared equal possession during the second half, causing the game to be fairly congested in the midfield. However, LA Galaxy II had a few notable chances, including a near goal by Frank Lopez. Iloski whipped the ball into the box with the outside of his left foot. Frank Lopez dove to meet it, putting a ferocious header on goal. But, unfortunately, it was saved by New Mexico’s Cody Mizell.
Next up, LA Galaxy II face local rivals Orange County SC for a rematch at Championship Soccer Stadium at OC Great Park on Saturday, June 29 at 5:30 p.m. PT.
LA – Nick DePuy 32’
NM – Kevaughn Frater (Assisted by Daniel Bruce) 40’
NM – Chris Wehan (Caution) 4’
LA – Tomas Hilliard-Arce (Caution) 20’
LA – Justin Fiddes (Caution) 24’
NM – Sam Hamilton (Caution) 35’
LA – Frank Lopez (Caution) 45’+2’
NM – Ethen Sampson (Caution) 55’
LA Galaxy II: Justin Vom Steeg; Justin Fiddes, Nick DePuy, Tomas Hilliard-Arce ©, Nate Shultz; Jose Hernandez, Brian Iloski, Adrian Vera, Don Tchilao (Kai Koreniuk 72’); Augustine Williams, Frank Lopez
Substitutions not used: Eric Lopez, John Requejo, Michael Gallagher, Oscar Cervantes, Jorge Hernandez
TOTAL SHOTS: 15; SHOTS ON GOAL: 3; FOULS: 12; OFFSIDE: 0; CORNER KICKS: 6; SAVES: 3.
New Mexico United: Cody Mizell; Ethen Sampson, Austin Yearwood, Sam Hamilton, Justin Schmidt ©; Juan Guzman, Santi Moar (Ken Akamatsu 70’), Chris Wehan, Daniel Bruce (David Estrada 78’); Devon Sandoval (Ryan Williams 70’), Kevaughn Frater
Substitution not used: Ben Beaury, Rashid Tetteh, Saalih Muhammad, Manny Padilla
TOTAL SHOTS: 8; SHOTS ON GOAL: 4; FOULS: 16; OFFSIDE: 4; CORNER KICKS: 2; SAVES: 2.
Referee: Mark Allatin
Assistant Referees: Jacob Herold and Adam Sanchez
Fourth Official: Daniel Radford
- LA Galaxy II (4-6-7, 19 points) secured a 1-1 draw against New Mexico United (6-3-8, 26 points) on Saturday night at Dignity Health Sports Park Track & Field Stadium.
- LA Galaxy II are 3-2-5 from home this season.
- Nick DePuy scored the Galaxy’s lone goal of the night and his second of the season.
- Kai Koreniuk leads the team in goals this year (4).
- Brian Iloski leads the team in assists this year (3).
- LA Galaxy II finished the 2018 USL Championship season with a 7-6-4 home record and a 3-11-3 away record.
- Next up, LA Galaxy II face local rivals Orange County SC for a rematch at Championship Soccer Stadium at OC Great Park on Saturday, June 29 at 5:30 p.m. PT.