LA Galaxy II (5-6-7, 22 points) secured an important road result with a 2-1 victory over local rivals Orange County SC on Saturday night at Championship Soccer Stadium in Irvine, Calif.
The two sides exchanged possession throughout the first half, each enjoying scoring opportunities. However, neither of the rivals were able to find a goal and entered halftime scoreless.
However, LA Galaxy II got out of the gates quickly and found themselves on the board first for the third consecutive match. In the 47th minute, Brian Iloski hit an excellent ball over the top to meet an onrushing Frank Lopez who buried the ball from a difficult angle.
Los Dos maintained the lead for eight minutes until Orange County responded with a goal of their own. Orange County’s initial shot was saved by Los Dos goalkeeper Justin Vom Steeg, but Vinicius was in the perfect position to drive the rebound into the back of the net.
With seven minutes left in regular time, the home side had a near winner with a dipping shot from 20 yards out. Vom Steeg came up with an incredible save to push the chance over the bar. It was one of seven saves Vom Steeg had on the night, his highest of the season.
Los Dos continued to press, refusing to be content with another draw. In the 86thminute, Lopez found the winner when he took the ball from the feet of Owusu-Ansah Kontor. Lopez slotted a shot past Patrick McLain to the bottom-left corner, securing a brace and all three point for LA Galaxy II.
Next up, LA Galaxy II face Las Vegas Lights FC for a Fourth of July contest at Cashman Field on Thursday, July 4 at 7 p.m. PT.
LA – Frank Lopez (Assisted by Brian Iloski) 47’
OC – Vinicius 54’
LA – Frank Lopez 86’
LA – Nick DePuy (Caution) 25’
LA – Omar Ontiveros (Caution) 36’
LA – Carlos Harvey (Caution) 40’
OC – Michael Seaton (Caution) 77’
OC – Owusu-Ansah Kontor (Caution) 90’+3’
LA Galaxy II: Justin Vom Steeg; Nick DePuy, Tomas Hilliard-Arce ©, Omar Ontiveros; John Requejo, Brian Iloski, Carlos Harvey (Adrian Vera 76’), Jose Hernandez, Kai Koreniuk (Nate Shultz 55’); Augustine Williams, Frank Lopez (Michael Gallagher 89’)
Substitutions not used: Eric Lopez, Justin Fiddes, Mauricio Cuevas, Don Tchilao
TOTAL SHOTS: 19; SHOTS ON GOAL: 7; FOULS: 12; OFFSIDE:12; CORNER KICKS: 6; SAVES: 7.
Orange County SC: Patrick McLain; Owusu-Ansah Kontor, Leonardo, Michael Orozco ©; Edson Alvarado, Aodhan Quinn, Daniel Crisostomo (Sebastien Turenne Des Pres 86’), Liam Trotter; Darwin Jones (Kevin Coleman 74’), Vinicius (Michael Seaton 65’), Jerry van Wolfgang
Substitution not used: Aaron Cervantes, Hugo Arellano, Walker Hume, Giovanni Ramos Godoy
TOTAL SHOTS: 15; SHOTS ON GOAL: 8; FOULS: 16; OFFSIDE: 13; CORNER KICKS:5; SAVES: 5.
Referee: Elijio Arreguin
Assistant Referees: Seth Martin and Jeremy Davis
Fourth Official: Daniel Radford
- LA Galaxy II (5-6-7, 22 points) secured an important road result with a 2-1 victory over local rivals Orange County SC on Saturday night at Championship Soccer Stadium in Irvine, Calif.
- LA Galaxy II are 2-4-2 away from homethis season.
- Frank Lopez recorded his first brace of 2019 against Orange County SC.
- Justin Vom Steeg recorded a season-high seven saves against Orange County SC.
- Frank Lopez leads the team in goals this year (5).
- Brian Iloski leads the team in assists this year (4).
- LA Galaxy II finished the 2018 USL Championship season with a 7-6-4 home record and a 3-11-3 away record.
- Next up, LA Galaxy II face Las Vegas Lights FC for a Fourth of July contest at Cashman Field on Thursday, July 4 at 7 p.m. PT.