LA Galaxy II (5-7-8, 23 points) dropped a three-game undefeated streak in a 2-1 loss to Reno 1868 FC (11-4-5, 38 points) on Saturday night at Dignity Health Sports Park Track & Field Stadium.
Reno 1868 FC were first to the scoreboard, tallying in the ninth minute on an own goal. Reno’s Danny Musovski hit a shot so errant it might have gone out for a throw, but it was struck with pace and deflected off the chest of Gallagher and into the back of the net.
Los Dos trailed 0-1 at the half. The home side looked to slowly gain momentum as the second half progressed, peaking when the Galaxy struck the post twice in a span of two minutes on shots from Kai Koreniuk and Jose Hernandez in the 66th. But Reno 1868 FC flipped the script, scoring on their next trip down the field. Ex-LA Galaxy II and LA Galaxy midfielder Raul Mendiola assisted Seth Casiple on headed goal in the 70th minute.
Galaxy II kept their pressure at full tilt though, and less than ten minutes after Koreniuk hit the post on an attempt, he found the back of the net with help from a sweet sequence of one-touch passes from Adrian Vera and Jose Hernandez.
Koreniuk continued his reign of terror on the left with another dangerous chance in the 89th that flew just over the bar. But that would be Los Dos’ last dangerous look, as Galaxy II dropped a three-game undefeated streak at home in Interim Head Coach Junior Gonzalez’s first match in charge.
RNO – Michael Gallagher (own goal) 9’
RNO – Sam Casiple (Assisted by Raul Mendiola) 70’
LA – Kai Koreniuk (Assisted by Jose Hernandez, Adrian Vera) 75’
LA – Michael Gallagher (caution) 2’
RNO – Zach Carroll (caution) 17’
RNO – Sam Gleadle (caution) 53’
LA – Nick DePuy (caution) 90’
RNO – Corey Hertzog (caution) 90’
RNO – Raul Mendiola (caution) 90’
LA – Adrian Vera (cation) 90+3’
LA Galaxy II: Justin Vom Steeg; Justin Fiddes, Michael Gallagher, Tomas Hilliard-Arce ©, Nate Shultz; Carlos Harvey, Ernesto Walker (Adrian Vera 71’), Jose Hernandez (Nick DePuy 76’); Don Tchilao (Jorge Hernandez 63’), Augustine Williams, Kai Koreniuk
Substitutions not used: Eric Lopez, Omar Ontiveros.
TOTAL SHOTS: 20; SHOTS ON GOAL: 4; FOULS: 21; OFFSIDE: 1; CORNER KICKS: 3; SAVES: 2.
Reno 1868 FC: Matt Bersano; Zach Carroll ©, Emrah Klimenta, Duke Lacoix, Jacob Akanyirige (Seth Casiple HT); William Seymore, Gilbert Fuentes Perez (Lindo Mfeka 79’), Adbulkadir Haji (Raul Mendiola 60’), Sam Gleadle, Corey Hertzog, Danny Musovski
Substitution not used: Damion Lewis, Brent Richards, Thomas Janjigian, Aidan Apopaca.
TOTAL SHOTS: 11; SHOTS ON GOAL: 4; FOULS: 15; OFFSIDE: 1; CORNER KICKS: 3; SAVES: 3.
Referee: Michael Radchuk
Assistant Referees: Baboucarr Jallow, Joshua Haimes
Fourth Official: Steve Skille
- LA Galaxy II (5-7-8, 23 points) dropped a three-game undefeated streak in a 2-1 loss to Reno 1868 FC (11-4-5, 38 points) on Saturday night at Dignity Health Sports Park Track & Field Stadium.
- Kai Koreniuk scored his fifth goal on the season and now leads the team in goals.
- Jose Hernandez earned his second assist of the year on Koreniuk’s goal.
- LA Galaxy II are now 3-3-5 at home in 2019.
- Brian Iloski leads the team in assists this year (4).
- LA Galaxy II finished the 2018 USL Championship season with a 7-6-4 home record and a 3-11-3 away record.
- Next up, LA Galaxy II face Tulsa Roughnecks FC at 5:30 p.m. PT on Wednesday, July 24th away at ONEOK Field in Tulsa, Oklahoma.