Jose Hernandez’s stoppage time strike led LA Galaxy II (7-7-8, 29 points) to all three points with a 2-1 victory over Portland Timbers 2 (7-7-7, 28 points) on Sunday night at Providence Park in Portland, Ore.
LA Galaxy II were on the scoreboard first with an early goal in the seventh minute. The scoring play started with a ball lofted into Nate Shultz from Nick DePuy positioned in the midfield. Shultz brought the ball under control with ease and crossed it into the box. Ethan Zubak pounced on the ball, heading it home.
Portland Timbers 2 almost responded in the 22nd minute after being awarded a penalty kick for a foul on Dairon Asprilla by DePuy. Eric Lopez came up big to prevent Tomas Conechny from capitalizing on the opportunity. However, Timbers 2 found the equalizer 10 minutes later. The two sides entered halftime level with one goal apiece.
The second half saw chances for both sides, but Lopez made three more crucial saves to keep the home team from scoring a second goal. In the final seconds of stoppage time, Los Dos made the most of their final possession when Jose Hernandez scored a rebounded effort after Augustine Williams fired a shot off the crossbar. Hernandez tallied his first goal of the season and the match’s game winner.
LA – Ethan Zubak (Assisted by Nate Shultz) 7’
POR – Dairon Asprilla (Assisted by Roy Miller) 32’
LA – Jose Hernandez 90’+5’
LA – Michael Gallagher (Caution) 20’
POR – Eryk Williamson (Caution) 35’
LA – Omar Ontiveros (Caution) 76’
LA Galaxy II: Eric Lopez; Omar Ontiveros, Nick DePuy, Tomas Hilliard-Arce ©, Michael Gallagher (Jose Hernandez HT); Adrian Vera (Ivan Gutierrez 62’), Carlos Harvey, Emil Cuello; Nate Shultz, Ethan Zubak (Augustine Williams 52’), Jorge Hernandez
Substitutions not used: Luke Pruter, Nestor Molina, Marcus Ferkranus, Ernesto Walker
TOTAL SHOTS: 14; SHOTS ON GOAL: 5; FOULS: 20; OFFSIDE: 2; CORNER KICKS: 1; SAVES: 4.
Portland Timbers 2: Kendall McIntosh; Roy Miller, Bill Tuiloma, Modou Jadama; Tomas Conechny (Ryan Sierakowski 83’), Todd Wharton, Eryk Williamson, Andy Polo (Cristian Ojeda 71’), Harold Hanson; Dairon Asprilla, Marvin Loria (Foster Langsdorf HT)
Substitution not used: Aljaz Ivacic, Max Ornstil, Nathan Smith, Carlos Anguiano
TOTAL SHOTS: 11; SHOTS ON GOAL: 5; FOULS: 11; OFFSIDE: 6; CORNER KICKS: 6; SAVES: 3.
Referee: Alejandro Aguilera Jr.
Assistant Referees: Christian Clerc, Ryan Jung
Fourth Official: Miles Crumley
- Jose Hernandez’s stoppage time strike led LA Galaxy II (7-7-8, 29 points) to all three points with a 2-1 victory over Portland Timbers 2 (7-7-7, 28 points) on Sunday night at Providence Park in Portland, Ore.
- With the result, LA Galaxy II have recorded back-to-back wins on the road.
- Ethan Zubak recorded his fifth goal on the season.
- Jose Hernandez scored his first goal on the season, as well his first goal since joining LA Galaxy II.
- Zubak and Kai Koreniuk co-lead the team in goals (5).
- LA Galaxy II are now 4-4-3 away from home in 2019.
- Brian Iloski leads the team in assists this year (4).
- LA Galaxy II finished the 2018 USL Championship season with a 7-6-4 home record and a 3-11-3 away record.
- Next up, LA Galaxy II return to Dignity Health Sports Park Track & Field Stadium to host Phoenix Rising FC on Saturday, August 3 at 7 p.m. PT.