LA Galaxy II (7-7-8, 29 points) will play this week’s match at home as they face off against Phoenix Rising FC (13-2-5, 44 points) with the match kicking off at 7 p.m. PT on Saturday, Aug. 3 at Dignity Health Sports Park. The match will be broadcast live on ESPN+.
LA Galaxy II are 5-8-2 all-time against Phoenix Rising FC, but have yet to play them this season. Los Dos lost the most recent fixture, in May 2018, in a high scoring game that ended 4-3 in favor of Phoenix at Phoenix Rising Soccer Complex. Galaxy II’s Efrain Alvarez scored first, and at half the away side was in the lead 3-1. However, Phoenix battled back into the game, scoring three second half goals and winning via a Didier Drogba penalty kick.
Los Dos will look to put in another good performance against Phoenix Rising FC after winning 2-1 away against Portland Timbers 2 on Sunday, July 28th. Galaxy II started the match strong, as Ethan Zubak scored the opening goal, his fourth of the season, just seven minutes into the game. Portland struck back soon after though, as they scored their lone goal of the contest just after the half hour mark. From this point on, the game continued at 1-1, and both teams looked destined for a draw. However, five minutes into second half stoppage time, Jose Hernandez scored for Galaxy II, and catapulted his side from 12th into the 8th place spot in the USL Western Conference standings. In addition, Los Dos could see themselves reach a three game winning streak after this match, which they have yet to do this season.
The away side come into this clash having not lost in their last eleven USL Championship matches. Most recently, Phoenix most recently won 1-0 away against Tulsa Roughnecks FC. Phoenix picked up all three points, as the Roughnecks were brought down to ten men after a straight red card was issued near the end of the first half. Phoenix scored around the middle of the second half, and held on from there to play out the remainder of the contest. This week, they will look to continue their good form against Los Dos. The home team’s own good run has sent them into 8th place in the USL Western Conference, and into playoff contention.
Portland Timbers 2 1 | LA Galaxy II 2: LA Galaxy II defeated Western Conference opposition Portland Timbers 2 away from home on Sunday. In the match, Ethan Zubak and Jose Hernandez scored the goals for Los Dos, with Hernandez netting the winner late in second half stoppage time.
Tulsa Roughnecks FC 0 | Phoenix Rising FC 1: Phoenix Rising FC won their most recent match on the road 1-0 against Western Conference opponents Tulsa Roughnecks FC. Tulsa were reduced to ten men before the end of the first half, and failed to recover after Phoenix scored the winning goal in the middle of the second half.
LA Galaxy II 0, Phoenix Rising FC 1 | April 11, 2018 at Dignity Health Sports Park
Phoenix Rising FC 4, LA Galaxy II 3 | May 4, 2018 at Phoenix Rising Soccer Complex
LA Galaxy II: 10-17-7, 37 points
Phoenix Rising FC: 19-9-6, 63 points
- LA Galaxy II (7-7-8, 29 points) defeated Western Conference opposition Portland Timbers 2 (4-10-6, 18 points) 2-1 on Sunday on the road at Providence Park in Portland.
- LA Galaxy II are 3-3-5 at home and 4-4-3 on the road in 2019.
- Phoenix Rising FC are 6-2-2 on the road this year.
- LA Galaxy II have jumped into playoff position, now occupying the 8th place in the USL Championship Western Conference standings.
- Phoenix Rising FC are currently occupying the 1st place spot in the USL Championship Western Conference standings.
- Kai Koreniuk leads the team in goals this year (5).
- Brian Iloski leads the team in assists this year (4).
- LA Galaxy II finished the 2018 USL Championship season with a 7-6-4 home record and a 3-11-3 away record.
- Next up, LA Galaxy II face Austin Bold FC at 5:30 p.m. PT on Saturday, Aug. 10th away at Bold Stadium.
- For more information, visit www.lagalaxy.com/2.