LA Galaxy II (7-8-8, 29 points) are back on the road, taking on Austin Bold FC at 5:30 p.m. PT on Saturday, Aug. 10 at Bold Stadium in Austin, Texas.
After a disappointing weekend from Los Dos, the side enters the new week as the last time in the USL Championship Playoffs, one point off of 11th place Portland Timbers 2. In a chance to secure their first three-game win streak of the season, LA Galaxy II let slip a 2-0 lead over USL Western Conference leaders Phoenix Rising FC. Ethan Zubak and Efrain Alvarez tallied first and second half goals for Los Dos, respectively, but three second-half goals from Rising FC in the final 30 minutes of the game saw all three points given to the away side.
This weekend’s contest will mark the Galaxy’s first-ever trip to Austin. The two sides have met only once in Bold FC’s inaugural season. On May 4, Galaxy II defeated Austin 1-0 at Dignity Health Sports Park Track & Field Stadium with an own goal for LA securing all three points.
In Austin’s most recent match, the team drew 2-2 on the road against New Mexico United. Amobi Okugo led the way for Austin, scoring twice in the match, each goal a response to a goal from New Mexico.
André Lima leads Austin in goals this season with eight, while Calum Mallace, Kris Tyrpak and Sean McFarlane all co-lead the team with three assists.
Austin is 3-2-0 in their last five matches, while LA Galaxy II are 2-2-1 in their last five. Austin boast one of the best home records in the Western Conference at 7-1-3. Meanwhile Los Dos are better on the road than at home in 2019, going 4-4-3 in contests away from Los Angeles.
LA Galaxy II 2 | Phoenix Rising FC 3: Ethan Zubak and Efrain Alvarez gave LA Galaxy II a 2-0 lead, but the home side collapsed soon after, conceding three-second half goals from Phoenix in the game’s final thirty minutes of the game.
New Mexico United 2 | Austin Bold FC 2: Amobi Okugo scored his first two goals of the season in New Mexico’s only two shots on goal that night as Austin continued to rebound from a 6-0 loss at Phoenix Rising FC on July 19.
LA Galaxy II 1, Austin Bold FC 0 | May 4, 2019 at Dignity Health Sports Park
LA Galaxy II: 10-17-7, 37 points
Austin Bold FC: N/A
- LA Galaxy II (7-7-8, 29 points) fell victim to Phoenix Rising FC (13-2-5, 44 points) in a 2-3 comeback loss on Saturday night at Dignity Health Sports Park Track & Field Stadium.
- Geoffrey Acheampong returned from injury after four months on the sidelines in LA Galaxy II’s loss to Phoenix. He served a second-half substitution for the side.
- Ethan Zubak scored his fifth goal of the season to open the match. Jorge Hernandez recorded the assist, his second of the year.
- Efrain Alvarez drew and converted a penalty kick for his Los Dos goal of the season.
- Zubak leads the team in goals (6).
- LA Galaxy II are now 3-4-5 at home in 2019.
- Brian Iloski leads the team in assists this year (4).
- LA Galaxy II finished the 2018 USL Championship season with a 7-6-4 home record and a 3-11-3 away record.
- Next up, LA Galaxy II travel to face Austin Bold FC on Saturday, Aug. 10 at Bold Stadium.
- For more information, visit www.lagalaxy.com/2.