LA Galaxy II (8-8-8, 32 points) will look to continue their ascension up the USL Western Conference standings this weekend when they take on New Mexico United ( at 6:30 p.m. PT on Saturday, Aug. 17 at Isotopes Park in Albuquerque, N.M.
In the midst of one of their most successful stretches of the season, LA Galaxy II square off against an opponent with just one point separating the two sides. Los Dos have gone 3-2-0 in their last five matches, while New Mexico United have gone 2-2-1 in their last five.
In Los Dos’ summer run, they’ve proven themselves on the road, now holding a better road record than home record on the season. Galaxy II are a perfect 3-0-0 in their three away games since Interim Manager Junior Gonzalez took over. The defensive effort on the road has been solid, with the team allowing just one goal in each of those three wins, while scoring eight.
After a hot start to the season, New Mexico have cooled off this summer, collecting just two wins since June. They’ve won just one match in their last four tries at home. New Mexico however, can score with the best of the league’s competition. With 43 goals on the season, they are fourth in the USL Championship. Leading the way for New Mexico are goalscorers Kevaughn Frater and Santi Moar, both of which have tallied more than 10 goals this season.
Austin Bold FC 1 | LA Galaxy II 3: Los Dos scored three second half goals to complete a 3-1 comeback victory against Austin, behind a phenomenal performance from young goalkeeper Eric Lopez.
Portland Timbers 2 3 | New Mexico United 2: A comeback attempt from New Mexico was too little too late, not helped by a red card suffered in the 84th minute. Santi Moar and David Estrada scored goals for New Mexico.
LA Galaxy II 1, New Mexico United 1 | June 22, 2019 at Dignity Health Sports Park
LA Galaxy II: 10-17-7, 37 points
New Mexico United: N/A
- LA Galaxy II (8-8-8, 32 points) defeated Austin Bold FC (9-8-6, 22 points) 3-1 last Saturday night in Austin, Texas.
- LA Galaxy II are 5-4-3 on the road in 2019.
- Kai Koreniuk leads the team in goals (6).
- Jose Hernandez leads the team in assists (4).
- LA Galaxy II finished the 2018 USL season with a 7-6-4 home record and a 3-11-3 away record.
- Next up, LA Galaxy II return to Los Angeles to face Sacramento Republic FC at 7 p.m. PT on Saturday, Aug. 31 at Dignity Health Sports Park Track & Field Stadium.
- For more information, visit www.lagalaxy.com/2.