LA Galaxy II (8-8-9, 33 points) drew 2-2 with New Mexico United (8-6-10, 34 points) on Saturday Night in Albuquerque, N.M.
In his first start for LA Galaxy II, Mohammed Kamara brought out his best. Just nine minutes in, Kamara received a ball in the box from Jose Hernandez. Kamara flicked the ball backward over the head of the defender, then popped the ball up to his right foot to set up the volleyed goal.
In the 25th minute, New Mexico was able to counter off a Los Dos free kick, and the score was tied 1-1 at halftime. A second yellow card had been issued to Adam Saldaña just before the close of the first half, making things worse for Galaxy II.
But LA Galaxy II brought the fight in the second half and took the lead again on a penalty from Augustine Williams. But minutes later, Los Dos conceded a penalty of their own as the game ended in a draw.
LA – Mohammed Kamara 9’ (Assisted by Jose Hernandez)
NM – Christopher Wehan 25’ (Assisted by Santi Moar)
LA – Augustine Williams 71’ (penalty)
NM – Kevaughn Frater 77’ (penalty)
LA – Adam Saldana (caution)
LA – Adam Saldana (second caution, ejection)
NM – Kevaughn Frater 55’ (caution)
LA – Adrian Vera 71’ (caution)
NM – Toni Soler 73’ (caution)
NM – Devon Sandoval 85’ (caution)
LA Galaxy II: Eric Lopez; Nate Shultz, Mauricio Cuevas, Tomas Hilliard-Arce ©, Nicholas DePuy (Abdalla Haji Shaibu HT); Adam Saldaña, Jose Hernandez, Adrian Vera (Geoffrey Acheampong 80’); Augustine Williams, Mohammed Kamara, Kai Koreniuk (Justin Fiddes HT)
Substitutions not used: Abraham Romero, Cameron Dunbar, Don Tchilao.
Head Coach: Junior Gonzalez
TOTAL SHOTS: 9; SHOTS ON GOAL: 5; FOULS: 19; OFFSIDE: 0; CORNER KICKS: 5; SAVES: 7.
New Mexico United: Cody Mizell; Ethen Sampson (Tommy Madden 78’), Austin Yearwood, Justin Schmidt, Rashid Tetteh, Christopher Wehan, Juan Guzmán (Toni Soler 72’), Santi Moar, Daniel Bruce (David Estrada 57’), Kevaughn Frater, Devon Sandoval
Substitution not used: Benjamin Beaury, Kenny Akamatsu, Saalih Muhammed, Ryan Williams.
Head Coach: Troy Lesesne
TOTAL SHOTS: 21; SHOTS ON GOAL: 9; FOULS: 15; OFFSIDE: 1; CORNER KICKS: 10; SAVES: 3.
Referee: Lukasz Szpala
- LA Galaxy II (8-8-9, 33 points) drew 2-2 with New Mexico United (8-6-10, 34 points) on Saturday Night in Albuquerque, N.M.
- LA Galaxy II are 5-4-4 on the road in 2019.
- Mohammed Kamara made his LA Galaxy II debut, and scored just nine minutes into the match.
- Augustine Williams scored his fifth goal of the season.
- Abdalla Haji Shaibu made his LA Galaxy debut after signing with the club on Friday.
- Kai Koreniuk leads the team in goals (6).
- Jose Hernandez leads the team in assists (5).
- LA Galaxy II finished the 2018 USL season with a 7-6-4 home record and a 3-11-3 away record.
- Next up, LA Galaxy II return to Los Angeles to face Sacramento Republic FC at 7 p.m. PT on Saturday, Aug. 31 at Dignity Health Sports Park Track & Field Stadium.
- For more information, visit www.lagalaxy.com/2.