In a crucial contest, LA Galaxy II (9-8-9, 36 points) defeated Sacramento Republic FC (10-11-4, 34 points) 1-0 at Dignity Health Sports Park Track & Field Stadium on Saturday night. With the win, Los Dos jumped back into playoff position and secured their first shutout since June 1 and first shutout win since May 4.
LA Galaxy II held the upper hand from the first whistle, charging down the field for early chances from Mohammed Kamara and Emil Cuello. The field tilted in Los Dos’ favor for the majority of the first half, and Kai Koreniuk was the one to take advantage. In a give-and-go with Emil Cuello, Koreniuk found Cuello at the top of the box. Cuello popped Koreniuk’s pass up and over the last defender, where it perfectly dropped for a volley finish from Koreniuk.
Los Dos reached the half with a 1-0 lead. Early in the second, a pair of spectacular saves from Eric Lopez kept Sacramento off the scoreboard.
The Galaxy were able to hold their ground in the second half, and almost put the game away in the 80th minute when Don Tchilao struck the crossbar. Sacramento enjoyed promising stretches of possession in the second 45, but Los Dos ultimately held on for the shutout win as the Galaxy leveled their home record to 4-4-5 on the season.
LA – Kai Koreniuk 21’ (Assisted by Emil Cuello)
SAC – Tomas Enevoldsen 20’ (caution)
LA – Mohammed Kamara 39’ (caution)
LA – Emil Cuello 54’ (caution)
LA – Justin Fiddes 56’ (caution)
SAC – Hayden Partain 64’ (caution)
SAC – Jordan McCrary 82’ (caution)
LA – Eric Lopez 90’+1’ (caution)
LA Galaxy II: Eric Lopez; Nate Shultz, Tomas Hilliard-Arce, Omar Ontiveros, Justin Fiddes; Geoffrey Acheampong (Jose Hernandez 70’), Carlos Harvey, Emil Cuello, Mohammed Kamara, Ethan Zubak (Augustine Williams 34’); Kai Koreniuk (Don Tchilao 76’)
Substitutions not used: Abraham Romero, John Requejo; Abdalla Shaibu; Jose Hernandez; Ivan Gutierrez.
Head Coach: Junior Gonzalez
TOTAL SHOTS: 15; SHOTS ON GOAL: 7; FOULS: 23; OFFSIDE: 0; CORNER KICKS: 3; SAVES: 7.
New Mexico United: Bobby Shuttleworth; Jordan McCrary, Dekel Keinan (Matt Mahoney 80’), Mitchell Taintor, Juan Barahana, Jaime Villarreal, Hayden Partain (Keven Aleman 69’), Thomas Enevoldsen, Cameron Iwasa, Villyan Bijev (Drew Skundrich 89’), Sam Werner
Substitutions not used: Rafael Diaz, Haris Chantzopoulos, Dariusz Formelia, Ray Saari.
Head Coach: Simon Elliot
TOTAL SHOTS: 16; SHOTS ON GOAL: 2; FOULS: 15; OFFSIDE: 0; CORNER KICKS: 8; SAVES: 6.
Referee: Michael Redchuk
- LA Galaxy II (9-8-9, 36 points) defeated Sacramento Republic FC (10-11-4, 34 points) 1-0 at Dignity Health Sports Park Track & Field Stadium on Saturday night.
- LA Galaxy II are 4-4-5 at home in 2019.
- Kai Koreniuk scored his seventh goal of the season for Los Dos. He leads the team in goals this season.
- Eric Lopez and LA Galaxy II earned their first shutout since June 1.
- This is Los Dos’ first shutout win since May 4.
- Jose Hernandez leads the team in assists (5).
- LA Galaxy II finished the 2018 USL season with a 7-6-4 home record and a 3-11-3 away record.
- Next up, LA Galaxy II host Real Monarchs SLC at 7 p.m. PT on Saturday, Sept. 7 for Pups at the Pitch at Dignity Health Sports Park.
- For more information, visit www.lagalaxy.com/2.