Kai Koreniuk scored twice and 17-year-olds Cameron Dunbar and Mauricio Cuevas each had a goal and assist to lead Los Dos to victory against the Toros at H-E-B Park.
The Toros opened brightly and almost took the lead in the sixth minute when Robert Coronado hit the right post with a drive from the top of the penalty area, the rebound corralled by Los Dos goalkeeper Eric Lopez. The Galaxy II took the lead in the 13th minute, however, as Kai Koreniuk ran onto a through-ball by Carlos Harvey in the left side of the penalty area and slid his finish into the right corner of the net.
Los Dos doubled their lead on the half-hour mark when Dunbar picked up possession in space on the right side. The 17-year-old drove forward and put home a beautiful finish to the bottom-left corner to mark his professional debut with a goal. The Toros almost pulled a goal back just before halftime when Timo Mehlich and Luka Prpa combined to set up Isidro Martinez, but his finish went high of the target.
The Toros almost got a slice of fortune early in the second half when a ball deflected off Galaxy II defender Isaac Bawa toward his own goal, only for Lopez to claw the ball off the line. Los Dos, meanwhile, continued to make the most of their chances as a low cross from the right by Dunbar came to Augustine Williams, whose second effort put the ball into the net. Los Dos then made it four as Koreniuk broke in on the left and shot low to the right corner in the 67th minute, and while the Toros pulled a goal back late through Prpa, Cuevas added a fifth for Los Dos off a perfectly-placed free kick to the left corner.
USLChampionship.com Man of the Match: Cameron Dunbar, LA Galaxy II – Dunbar shone in his first professional outing, scoring an outstanding goal and providing a beautiful assist to set his side on the way to victory.
LA – Kai Koreniuk (Assisted by Carlos Harvey) 13’
LA – Cameron Dunbar (Assisted by Mauricio Cuevas) 30’
LA – Augustine Williams (Assisted by Cameron Dunbar) 53’
LA – Kai Koreniuk (Assisted by Jonathan Perez) 67’
RGV – Luka Prpa (Assisted by Juan Carlos Obregon Jr.) 85’
LA – Mauricio Cuevas 88’
RGV – Luka Prpa 19’
LA Galaxy II: Eric Lopez; Mauricio Cuevas, Omar Ontiveros ©, Issac Bawa, Diedie Traore, Carlos Harvey (Josue Varela 73’); Adam Saldana, Jorge Hernandez (Jonathan Perez 56’); Cameron Dunbar (Ivan Gutierrez 81’); Kai Koreniuk, Augustine Williams.
Substitutions not used: Abraham Romero, Markus Ferknanus, Andre Ochoa
Head Coach: Junior Gonzalez
Rio Grande Valley FC: Paul Blanchette, Victor Garza (Erik McCue ’72); Robert Castellanos, Kyle Adams, Robert Coronado, Kevin Rodriguez (Deshane Beckford 58’); Isidro Martinez, Timo Mehlich, Christian Lucatero, Luka Prpa. Garrett McLaughlin (Juan Carlos Obregon Jr. 69’).
Substitutions not used: Diego Rocha, Joshua Hallenberger, Taiberson, Ben Willis
Head Coach: Gerson Echeverry
Referee: Tori Penso
- LA Galaxy II begins their 2020 USL Championship season with an incredible 5-1-win Sunday night against Rio Grande Valley FC.
- LA Galaxy Academy standout Jonathan Perez made his first USL Championships appearance with his first career goal assist.
- Carson born LA Galaxy Academy standout Cameron Dunbar also made his first USL Championships appearance, scoring his first career goal and assist.
- Kai Koreniuk lead the match and LA Galaxy II in goals, tying his all-time USL career high of two goals, previously achieved twice during the 2019 season.
- LA Galaxy are now 1-0-0 to begin the 2020 season and 1-0-0 on the road.
- Rio Grande Valley allowed five goals against LA Galaxy II for the first time in Rio Grande Valley history.
- Head Coach Junior Gonzalez now holds an 8-5-4 record throughout his head coaching tenure with LA Galaxy II.
- LA Galaxy will host their home opener for the 2020 USL Championship season against Austin Bold FC on Friday, March 13 at Dignity Health Sports Park.
- For more information, visit www.lagalaxy.com/2.