LA Galaxy II earned a 1-0 win over San Diego Loyal SC Sunday night at Torero Stadium behind a second-half goal from Jesus Vazquez. The win gives Los Dos their second of the season while Loyal SC head coach and former LA Galaxy player Landon Donovan suffered the first loss of his head coaching career.
Looking to rebound from defeat last time out, Los Dos opened brightly as Jorge Hernandez forced a diving save from SD Loyal goalkeeper and former Galaxy player Jon Kempin with a drive from 25 yards that was pegged for the left corner. A minute later, San Diego got a chance of its own after a turnover in midfield allowed Francis Atuahene to get out on a breakaway, but his finish was lashed well off target.
Hernandez forced another good save from Kempin in the 13th minute as the SD Loyal goalkeeper tipped his central effort over the crossbar, and the Galaxy II continued to press for the opening goal as a corner kick fell to Jesus Vazquez, who produced a low finish that flashed across the face of goal and just wide of the left post.
Vazquez came up big at the other end for the Galaxy II after a turnover in their own half, charging back to make a sliding challenge as Atuahene was primed to shoot at the top of the penalty area, but Kempin remained the busier of the two goalkeepers as Isaac Bawa’s shot off a half-cleared corner kick took a big hop of the turf and fell nicely for Vazquez, who headed toward the bottom-right corner and forced another stretching save from Kempin.
Big chances proved harder to come by in the second half, but in the 69th minute Kempin again came up with an excellent save as Adrian Vera found space on the right side, cut onto his left foot and curled a shot to the far post that Kempin just got a fingertip to and turned wide of the post.
There was nothing Kempin could do three minutes later, however, as Vazquez’s presence in the area on set pieces paid off. A short corner to the top-left corner of the penalty area was delivered into the back post by Ivan Gutierrez where Augustine Williams was waiting to head back across goal, allowing Vazquez to slide in and finish to put the visitors ahead.
SD Loyal got a late chance at an equalizer when it was awarded a free kick just outside the penalty area in stoppage time, but Charlie Adams’ free kick went over the crossbar and from there the Galaxy II were able to see out their second road win of the season.
In their next match, LA Galaxy II return to Dignity Health Sports Park for a game against Sacramento Republic FC on Saturday, July 25 at 7 p.m. PT.
LA – Jesus Vasquez 72’
SD – Collin Martin 22’
LA – Jorge Hernandez 41’
SD – Elijah Martin 66’
SD – Beverly Makangila 82’
SD – Yair Jaen 87’
LA – Jesus Vasquez 90’
LA Galaxy II: Abraham Romero; Mauricio Cuevas, Jesus Vazquez, Jalen Neal, Isaac Bawa; Sebastian Nava (Adrian Vera 61’), Omar Ontiveros (Alejandro Alvarado Jr. 88’), Jorge Hernandez, Adam Saldana, Ivan Gutierrez (Victor Valdez 80’); Augustine Williams.
Substitutions not used: Anthony Ramos, Markus Ferkranus, Adrian Gonzalez, Andre Ochoa.
Head Coach: Junior Gonzalez
Referee: Ricardo Fierro
- LA Galaxy II earned a 1-0 over San Diego Loyal SC Sunday night at Torero Stadium behind a second-half goal from Jesus Vazquez.
- The win gives Los Dos their second of the season while Landon Donovan suffered the first loss of his head coaching career.
- LA Galaxy are now 2-1-0 during the 2020 season and 2-1-0 on the road.
- Head Coach Junior Gonzalez now holds an 9-6-4 record throughout his head coaching tenure with LA Galaxy II.
- Jesus Vasquez scored his first goal of the season. He is tied with three other LA Galaxy II players with one goal each while Kai Koreniuk leads the team with two goals this season.
- LA Galaxy II were without Kai Koreniuk, Carlos Harvey, Cameron Dunbar and Jonathan Perez, all whom are with the first team in Orlando for the MLS is Back tournament.
- The United Soccer League announced earlier this month the revised schedule for the 2020 USL Championship season.
- The league’s clubs are set to play 263 games over 13 weeks to decide which 16 teams will advance to the 2020 USL Championship Playoffs, which will open in the second weekend of October.
- LA Galaxy II will compete in the USL Championship Group B for the revised 2020 campaign alongside the following clubs: San Diego Loyal, Phoenix Rising FC, Las Vegas Lights FC and Orange County SC.
- In their next match, LA Galaxy II return to Dignity Health Sports Park for a game against Sacramento Republic FC on Saturday, July 25 at 7 p.m. PT.
For more information, visit www.lagalaxy.com/2.