LA Galaxy II fell to Phoenix Rising FC Wednesday afternoon at Dignity Health Sports Park in their first action in nearly a month as a goal from forward Augustine Williams wasn't enough for a result.
Looking for its first road win of the season, Phoenix almost took the lead in the ninth minute when a long pass forward by Corey Whelan put Flemmings in behind the Los Dos defense, but LA goalkeeper Abraham Romero made a fine 1-on-1 save to keep the game scoreless. Romero was also sharp as he denied a low effort by Jack Barmby a few minutes later, but Flemmings broke the deadlock with his ninth goal of the season as he beat the offside trap on a chipped pass over the top in the 24th minute.
Rising FC almost doubled its lead on the half-hour mark as a counterattack sprang Santi Moar down the left side before sending a shot to the far post that Romero got a piece of to send off the post and behind for a corner. Moar struck nine minutes before halftime, however, as Asante slipped him into the right channel breaking forward before the Spaniard lifted his finish into the left corner of the net. Phoenix added a third just pass the hour-mark as Asante picked up his second assist of the day.
Los Dos pulled a goal back with 20 minutes to go as Augustine Williams got in behind the Rising FC back line thanks to a good through-ball by Jorge Hernandez and finished past Rising FC goalkeeper Zac Lubin.
Asante wrapped up the result in second-half stoppage time, however, with a finish that marked his 40th goal in the Championship's regular season.
In their next match, LA Galaxy II remain at Dignity Health Sports Park for a game against Orange County SC on Saturday, Aug. 22 at 7 p.m. PT.
PHX - Junior Flemmings 23'
PHX- Santi Moar 36'
PHX - Jordan Schweitzer 64'
LA - Augustine Williams 70'
PHX - Solomon Asante 90' + 6
LA - Jesus Vazquez 6'
LA Galaxy II: Abraham Romero; Isaac Bawa, Jesus Vazquez, Omar Ontiveros, Mauricio Cuevas (Adrian Vera HT); Adama Saldana, Victor Valdez (Sebastian Hernandez HT), Jonathan Perez; Sebastian Nava (Jorge Hernandez HT), Augustine Williams, Ivan Gutierrez (Carson Klein 78').
Substitutions not used: Anthony Ramos.
Head Coach: Junior Gonzalez
Referee: Brandon Stevis
- LA Galaxy II fell to Phoenix Rising FC 4-1 Wednesday afternoon at Dignity Health Sports Park.
- The result marked the end of two consecutive victories prior to Wednesday's game.
- The contest was just the second home game for LA Galaxy II this season.
- LA Galaxy are now 3-2-0 during the 2020 season (1-1-0 at home and 2-1-0 on the road.)
- Head Coach Junior Gonzalez now holds an 10-7-4 record throughout his head coaching tenure with LA Galaxy II.
- Forward Augustine Williams scored his third goal of the season in his fifth appearance. He leads all LA Galaxy II players in scoring.
- LA Galaxy Academy product Carson Klein made his professional debut for LA Galaxy II when he entered the match as a second-half substitute.
- The United Soccer League announced last month the revised schedule for the 2020 USL Championship season.
- The league's clubs are set to play 263 games over 13 weeks to decide which 16 teams will advance to the 2020 USL Championship Playoffs, which will open in the second weekend of October.
- LA Galaxy II will compete in the USL Championship Group B for the revised 2020 campaign alongside the following clubs: San Diego Loyal, Phoenix Rising FC, Las Vegas Lights Fc and Orange County SC.
- In their next match, LA Galaxy II remain at Dignity Health Sports Park for a game against Orange County SC on Saturday, Aug. 22 at 7 p.m. PT.
For more information, visit www.lagalaxy.com/2.