Despite a first-half goal from Mauricio Cuevas, LA Galaxy II fell to Orange County SC 2-1 Saturday night in a back-and-forth contest at Dignity Health Sports Park.
OCSC took the lead in the 14th minute when Danny Finlayson threaded a pass down the right flank that picked out Cammy Palmer in space, and his cross to the back post was met with a first-time finish by Ugo Okoli to get the visitors rolling.
Los Dos struck back six minutes later, however, as from a free kick about 25 yards from goal to the left of center, Mauricio Cuevas fired a dipping shot over the wall that found the bottom-left corner of the net to equalize. Augustine Williams almost put the hosts ahead as Jorge Hernandez sent him through on goal, only for OCSC goalkeeper Aaron Cervantes to make a good one-on-one save.
Just before the hour-mark, Orange County struck again to regain the lead as a cross from the left by Nathan Smith was headed out to the feet of Palmer, who strode forward and launched a powerful finish from 20 yards into the left corner of the net. Okoli almost added his second of the night with 10 minutes to go but couldn't beat Los Dos goalkeeper Abraham Romero with a one-on-one chance, and then eight minutes later Okoli tried agin on a counterattack only to be thwarted once more.
Los Dos had one final chance to equalize just as the game ticked into stoppage time, but Hernandez's shot flew just over the top-left corner of the net, and Orange County was able to earn a point.
In their next match, LA Galaxy II travel to face Portland Timbers II on the road on Wednesday, Aug. 26 at 5 p.m. PT.
OC - Ugo Okoli 14'
LA - Mauricio Cuevas 19'
OC - Cameron Palmer 59'
LA - Adam Saldana (caution) 25'
OC - Nathan Smith (caution) 50'
OC - Cameron Palmer (caution) 72'
LA - Jesus Vazquez (caution) 84'
LA Galaxy II: Abraham Romero; Isaac Bawa, Jesus Vazquez, Mauricio Cuevas, Adrian Vera; Omar Ontiveros (Victor Valdez 69'), Adama Saldana, Jorge Hernandez; Jonathan Perez (Alejandro Alvarado 65'), Augustine Williams, Ivan Gutierrez (Sebastian Nava 69').
Substitutions not used: Anthony Ramos, Sebastian Hernandez, Carson Klein, Walker Portales.
Head Coach: Junior Gonzalez
Referee: William Hoffman
- LA Galaxy II fell to Orange County SC 2-1 Saturday night at Dignity Health Sports Park.
- LA Galaxy are now 3-3-0 during the 2020 season (1-2-0 at home and 2-1-0 on the road) with nine points.
- LA Galaxy II are now 2-1-1 against OCSC in their last four games.
- LA Galaxy II have now scored in six straight home games.
- Head Coach Junior Gonzalez now holds an 10-8-4 record throughout his head coaching tenure with LA Galaxy II.
- The United Soccer League announced last month the revised schedule for the 2020 USL Championship season.
- The league's clubs are set to play 263 games over 13 weeks to decide which 16 teams will advance to the 2020 USL Championship Playoffs, which will open in the second weekend of October.
- LA Galaxy II will compete in the USL Championship Group B for the revised 2020 campaign alongside the following clubs: San Diego Loyal, Phoenix Rising FC, Las Vegas Lights Fc and Orange County SC.
- In their next match, LA Galaxy II travel to face Portland Timbers II on the road on Wednesday, Aug. 26 at 5 p.m. PT.
For more information, visit www.lagalaxy.com/2.