LA Galaxy II moved into second place in the Group B standings as they took a thrilling 4-3 victory against Las Vegas Lights FC on Sunday afternoon at Dignity Health Sports Park.
Los Dos struck first in the fifth minute. Awarded a central free kick 25 yards from goal, Mauricio Cuevas stepped up and curled a shot into the top-right corner of the net. The goal was Cuevas' third directly from a free kick this season, the most in the Championship in 2020.
Lights FC hit back in the 14th minute as a through-ball by Junior Sandoval released Bryan De La Fuente in behind the Galaxy II defense. De La Fuente's shot rang off the crossbar, but the rebound fell for Yamikani Chester, who finished from close range to even the score. De La Fuente had another chance nine minutes later, but Los Dos goalkeeper Abraham Romero came off his line well to narrow the angle and made the save.
Eight minutes into the second half, Los Dos regained the lead. A floated cross by Omar Ontiveros from the right was controlled by halftime substitute Augustine Williams at the back post, and the forward tucked home a low finish. The Galaxy II's lead was then doubled in the 62nd minute as Jonathan Perez sent Adrian Vera on an overlap down the right side and Vera's cross to the center of the penalty area was headed home by Ivan Gutierrez into the left corner of the net as he beat his defender to Vera's delivery.
Las Vegas cut the deficit to one in the 73rd minute as a corner kick by De La Fuente from the left reached Johnny Fenwick at the back post for a volleyed finish into the right corner of the net, but a minute later Los Dos replied to restore it's two-goal lead. Gutierrez broke down the left side and his cross to the back post was laid off cleverly by Williams with a cushioned touch that set up Jorge Hernandez for a first-time strike that clipped the right post and found the back of the net.
Gutierrez almost added a fifth for the hosts with 10 minutes to go as Williams again controlled possession inside the penalty area and recycled possession. The ball came to Gutierrez at the top of the penalty area, and his curling, chipped effort from 20 yards hit the top of the crossbar and went behind for a goal kick.
Lights FC once again got within a goal with three minutes to go as a corner kick from the left by Junior Burgos connected with Blake Frischknecht at the back post as the Las Vegas native headed into the bottom-right corner of the net. there would be no late heroics this from for the visitors, however, as the final chance in stoppage time for Raul Mendiola rang off the left post and was cleared to safety by the Galaxy II defense, leaving the hosts with all three points.
Int their next match, LA Galaxy II face Orange County SC in another Group B matchup on Wednesday, Sept. 2.
LA - Mauricio Cuevas 5'
LV - Yamikani Chester 14'
LA - Augustine Williams (Assisted by Omar Ontiveros) 53'
LA - Ivan Gutierrez (Assisted by Adrian Vera, Jonathan Perez) 62'
LV - Johnny Fenwick
LA - Jorge Hernandez (Assisted by Augustine Williams, Ivan Gutierrez) 74'
LV - Blake Frischknecht 87'
Abraham Romero; Omar Ontiveros, Marcus Ferkranus, Jesus Vazquez, Mauricio Cuevas; Alejandro Alvarado (Jorge Hernandez 57'), Adama Saldana, Jonathan Perez (Adrian Gonzalez 72'); Adrian Vera (Sebastian Nava 70'), Carson Klein (Augustine Williams 45'), Ivan Gutierrez.
Substitutions not used: Anthony Ramos, Sebastian Hernandez, Victor Valdez.
Head Coach: Junior Gonzalez
- LA Galaxy II earned a 4-3 victory over Las Vegas Lights FC Sunday at Dignity Health Sports Park.
- The result marked the second-straight victory for LA Galaxy II.
- LA Galaxy are now 5-3-0 during the 2020 season (2-2-0 at home and 3-1-0 on the road) with twelve points.
- With the result, Los Dos move into second place in Group B standings.
- On the season, they have scored 16 goals, the second most in Group B.
- LA Galaxy II have now scored in seven straight home games.
- LA Galaxy II's four goals on Sunday matched a season high.
- Head Coach Junior Gonzalez now holds an 12-8-4 record throughout his head coaching tenure with LA Galaxy II.
- Forward Augustine Williams tallied his club-leading sixth goal of the season on Sunday.
- LA Galaxy Academy product Carson Klein made his first LA Galaxy II start Sunday afternoon. He made his USL debut earlier this month.
- The United Soccer League announced last month the revised schedule for the 2020 USL Championship season.
- The league's clubs are set to play 263 games over 13 weeks to decide which 16 teams will advance to the 2020 USL Championship Playoffs, which will open in the second weekend of October.
- LA Galaxy II will compete in the USL Championship Group B for the revised 2020 campaign alongside the following clubs: San Diego Loyal, Phoenix Rising FC, Las Vegas Lights Fc and Orange County SC.
- In their next match, LA Galaxy II face Orange County SC in another group B matchup on Wednesday, Sept. 2.
For more information, visit www.lagalaxy.com/2