LA Galaxy II fell to Orange County SC Wednesday evening at Championship Soccer Stadium as a first-half goal from Jonathan Perez wasn't enough for a result on the road.
Los Dos took only 80 seconds to take the lead as Ivan Gutierrez broke down the left side and created just enough space to deliver a cross that found Jonathan Perez at the top of the six-yard area for a flicked header that found the right corner of the net.
The hosts later pulled level as Kevin Alston released Seth Casiple into the left side of the penalty area. Casiple centered a cross that found the feet of Sean Okoli, and the former Championship Golden Boot-winner navigated the space to find an opening to fire home on the turn.
Seven minutes before halftime, Okoli struck again as a corner from the right by Brian Illoski found Michael Orozco at the back post. The former U.S. Men's National Team player bounced a header back across goal and Okoli nodded in his fifth goal of the season.
The teams exchanged chances early in the second half, but Perez almost leveled for the Galaxy II in the 54th minute as he won possession deep on the right side and wove into the penalty area. As OCSC goalkeeper Frederick Due came to challenge him, Perez dinked a shot over him, but it hit the left post and was cleared away to safety by the hosts. Augustine Williams then went close on the hour-mark, but his first-time finish off a low cross from the right by Omar Ontiveros went just wide of the right post with Due frozen.
Los Dos had another close chance with five minutes to go. After a free kick was half-cleared, Alejandro Alvarado Jr. fired a low shot through a crowd that went just wide of the right post. Another chance arrived for the visitors in the final minute, but Perez was unable to produce a finish to match his surging run forward from midfield. One final chance went astray after a penalty appeal moments after, but Orange County held on to earn victory in the first of the two meetings between the clubs this week.
LA Galaxy II again face Orange County SC on Saturday, Sept. 5 at Championship Soccer Stadium.
LA - Jonathan Perez (Assisted by Ivan Gutierrez) 2'
OCSC - Sean Okoli 25'
OCSC - Sean Okoli 38'
LA Galaxy II: Abraham Romero; Omar Ontiveros, Jalen Neal, Jesus Vazquez, Mauricio Cuevas; Adrian Vera (Sebastian Nava 67'), Jorge Hernandez, Adam Saldana, Jonathan Perez, Ivan Gutierrez (Alejandro Alvarado Jr. 67'); Augustine Williams.
Substitutions: Anthony Ramos, Markus Ferkranus, Sebastian Hernandez, Victor Valdez, Carson Klein.
Head Coach: Junior Gonzalez
Referee: Karen Callado
- LA Galaxy II fell to Orange County SC Wednesday evening at Championship Soccer Stadium as a first-half goal from Jonathan Perez wasn't enough for a result on the road.
- The result snapped a two-game winning streak for LA Galaxy II.
- LA Galaxy are now 5-4-0 with 15 points during the 2020 season (2-2-0 at home and 3-2-0 on the road).
- LA Galaxy Academy product Jonathan Perez scored his second goal of the season Wednesday evening.
- Head Coach Junior Gonzalez now holds an 12-9-4 record throughout his head coaching tenure with LA Galaxy II.
- In their next match, LA Galaxy II again face Orange County SC in another Group B matchup on Saturday, Sept. 5.
- This Saturday, Sept. 5 matchup will also take place at Championship Soccer Stadium.
- The United Soccer League announced last month the revised schedule for the 2020 USL Championship season.
- The league's clubs are set to play 263 games over 13 weeks to decide which 16 teams will advance to the 2020 USL Championship Playoffs, which will open in the second weekend of October.
- LA Galaxy II will compete in the USL Championship Group B for the revised 2020 campaign alongside the following clubs: San Diego Loyal, Phoenix Rising FC, Las Vegas Lights Fc and Orange County SC.
For more information, visit www.lagalaxy.com/2