LA Galaxy II earned a 2-1 win over Orange County SC at Championship Soccer Stadium Saturday night to move back into second place in Group B. The meeting marked the second contest this week against Orange County.
Los Dos threatened early as Jorge Hernandez fired a free kick just over the crossbar from the right side in the fourth minute, but it didn't take long for the visitors to take the lead. In the eighth minute, Jonathan Perez broke forward through the midfield and played in Augustine Williams, who shot low past Orange County goalkeeper Frederick Due to put Los Dos ahead.
Orange County almost leveled 10 minutes later as Michael Orozco rode to head goalward off a corner kick by Brian Iloski but Galaxy II goalkeeper Abraham Romero produced a great diving save to turn it around the post.
In the 27th minute, Los Dos doubled the lead from a set piece as Mauricio Cuevas notched his fourth goal of the season with a low free kick to the right corner of the net. His four goals have all come as free kicks, the most in USL.
The hosts struck just before the hour-mark, however, as Quinn fired a shot that caromed off the left post but was retrieved in the right side of the penalty area by Ugo Okoli. The forward quickly delivered a cross to the near post that was flicked in by Cammy Palmer, halving the deficit.
Orozco then almost found an equalizer in the 69th minute with a strong header from a corner kick by Seth Casiple from the left that was blocked on the line by Los Dos' Jonathan Perez, but as the half wore on the chances began to diminish for the hosts. Los Dos were able to withstand the pressure and come away with a crucial three points for its playoff hosts.
In their next match, LA Galaxy II face San Diego Loyal SC at Dignity Health Sports Park on Wednesday, Sept. 9 at 7 p.m. PT.
USLChampionship.com Man of the Match
Mauricio Cuevas, LA Galaxy II - Cuevas scored once and put in a solid shift defensively, recording seven recoveries, winning 3 of 3 tackles and making one interception.
LA - Augustine Williams (Assisted by Jonathan Perez) 8'
LA - Mauricio Cuevas 27'
OCSC - Cameron Palmer 60'
LA Galaxy II: Abraham Romero; Omar Ontiveros, Jalen Neal, Jesus Vazquez, Mauricio Cuevas; Jorge Hernandez (Ivan Gutierrez), Adam Saldana, Jonathan Perez (Victor Valdez 78'), Alejandro Alvarado Jr., Sebastian Nava (Adrian Vera 66'); Augustine Williams
Substitutions not used: Anthony Ramos, Markus Ferkranus, Sebastian Hernandez, Carson Klein
Head Coach: Junior Gonzalez
Referee: Joseph Salinas
- LA Galaxy II earned a 2-1 win over Orange County SC Saturday night in their second of two meetings vs. OCSC this week.
- LA Galaxy II have now won three of their previous four games.
- LA Galaxy II are now 6-4-0 with 18 points during the 2020 season (2-2-0 at home and 3-3-0 on the road).
- Forward Augustine Williams scored his team-leading seventh goal of the season.
- Williams' seven goals are tied for the fourth-most in USL.
- Mauricio Cuevas notched his fourth goal of the season. All of his goals have come from free kicks, the most of any player in USL.
- Cuevas now has three goals in his last five games.
- Head Coach Junior Gonzalez now holds an 13-9-4 record throughout his head coaching tenure with LA Galaxy II.
- In their next match, LA Galaxy II face San Diego Loyal SC at Dignity Health Sports Park on Wednesday, Sept. 9 at 7 p.m. PT.
- In the revised USL schedule, the league's clubs will play 263 games over 13 weeks to decide which 16 teams will advance to the 2020 USL Championship Playoffs, which will open in the second weekend of October.
- LA Galaxy II compete in the USL Championship Group B for the revised 2020 campaign alongside the following clubs: San Diego Loyal, Phoenix Rising FC, Las Vegas Lights FC and Orange County SC.
- For more information, visit www.lagalaxy.com/2.