Alejandro Alvarado Jr.'s first goal for LA Galaxy II earned Los Dos a 1-1- draw in second-half stoppage time against San Diego Loyal SC on Wednesday night at Dignity Health Sports Park. The result kept SD Loyal in second place in the Group B standings, but Los Dos remain just one point behind with two games in hand.
As San Diego was looking for a fourth consecutive victory, it was Los Dos that had the first real looks on goal as Adrian Vera fired a shot that was saved by San Diego goalkeeper Austin Guerrero in the sixth minute and Jonathan Perez fired a shot that was tipped wide of the right post a few minutes later.
Four minutes before halftime, the visitors got the chance to take the lead from the penalty spot was Charlie Adams was brought down in the area by Jalen Neal. Rubio Rubin stepped up to the spot and shot low to the right corner to convert.
Los Dos went close to finding an equalizer just past the hour-mark as Augustine Williams tired to redirect a shot from Perez at close range, but his deflection was cleared away by San Diego's Emrah Klimenta on the goal line.
San Diego was reduced to 10 men with a minute to go when Elijah Martin was sent off for his second yellow card of the game.
In the first minute of stoppage time, Los Dos found the equalizer. After building play through the right channel, a blocked shot by Williams caromed to the right corner where Mauricio Cuevas produced a perfect back-post cross for Alvarado to head home, grabbing what could be a vital point in Los Dos' playoff pursuit.
LA Galaxy II are in action next on Saturday, Sept. 26 on the road against Las Vegas Lights FC at Cashman Field live on ESPN+.
USLChampionship.com Man of the Match
Mauricio Cuevas, LA Galaxy II - Cuevas provided the assist on Los Dos' equalizer, had three key passes while competing 35 of 43 passes overall and won 9 of 13 duels and 5 of 5 tackles defensively.
SD - Rubio Rubin (penalty) 42'
LA - Alejandro Alvarado Jr. (Assisted by Mauricio Cuevas) 90' + 1
LA - Jalen Neal (caution) 22'
SD - Collin Martin (caution) 27'
LA - Mauricio Cuevas (caution) 37'
SD - Emrah Klimenta (caution) 38'
SD - Charlie Adams (caution) 58'
LA - Jesus Vazquez (caution) 60'
LA - Jorge Hernandez (caution) 69'
SD - Elijah Martin (caution) 82'
SD - Elijah Martin (second caution; ejection) 89'
LA - Omar Ontiveros (ejection) 90' + 8
LA Galaxy II: Abraham Romero; Omar Ontiveros, Jesus Vazquez, Jalen Neal (Isaac Bawa HT), Mauricio Cuevas; Adrian Vera (Sebastian Nava 78') , Adam Saldana, Jonathan Perez, Jorge Hernandez (Victor Valdez 82'), Ivan Gutierrez (Alejandro Alvarado Jr. HT); Augustine Williams
Substitutions not used: Anthony Ramos, Carson Klein.
Head Coach: Junior Gonzalez
Referee: William Hoffman
- LA Galaxy II earned a 1-1 draw at Dignity Health Sports Park vs. San Diego Loyal SC.
- LA Galaxy II remain within one point of San Diego Loyal SC for second place of Group B in the USL Championship standings, with two games in hand.
- The result marked the first draw in 13 matches for LA Galaxy II this season.
- With the result, LA Galaxy II are now 7-5-1 with 22 points during the 2020 season (3-3-1 at home and 4-2-0 on the road).
- LA galaxy II are 4-2-1 in their previous seven games.
- Head Coach Junior Gonzalez now holds an 14-10-5 record throughout his head coaching tenure with LA Galaxy II.
- The point was secured by a stoppage time finish from Alejandro Alvarado Jr.
- The goal marked the first for Alvarado Jr. with LA Galaxy II.
- LA Galaxy II are in action next on Saturday, Sept. 26 on the road against Las Vegas Lights FC at Cashman Field live on ESPN+.
- In the revised USL schedule, the league's clubs will play 263 games over 13 weeks to decide which 16 teams will advance to the 2020 USL Championship Playoffs, which will open in the second weekend of October.
- LA Galaxy II compete in the USL Championship Group B for the revised 2020 campaign alongside the following clubs: San Diego Loyal, Phoenix Rising FC, Las Vegas Lights FC and Orange County SC.
- For more information, visit www.lagalaxy.com/2.